Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Zenith 16Z8C50 Chassis (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270644)

VanillaBeans 07-07-2018 09:49 AM

Zenith 16Z8C50 Chassis (Schematic, anyone?)

Hello!

I am a new member here. I am searching for any schematics or information on the (rectangular screen) Zenith 16Z8C50 chassis. I would also submit the model number, but the lettering is severely faded on the white sticker on the masonite back of the set. It sits on a swivel base. I found a specimen in a dumpster outside an estate sale some time ago, and I have finally worked up the gall to try to dig into it! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

VanillaBeans

WISCOJIM 07-07-2018 01:13 PM

Sams Photofact 1074-3 if anyone has one handy.

VanillaBeans 07-09-2018 09:31 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Does anybody happen to have an electronic copy of the schematic? I had heard the 16Z8C50 was a fairly common chassis on late 1960's Zenith sets, and I have seen copies of it being passed around (some time ago). I hoped somebody might have one. Thanks.

DavGoodlin 07-13-2018 02:15 PM

I always like to see the pre-chromacolor (66-69) rectangular Zeniths discussed. I have one of these, so I sent a pm about getting you a schematic.

dieseljeep 07-19-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3201933)
I always like to see the pre-chromacolor (66-69) rectangular Zeniths discussed. I have one of these, so I sent a pm about getting you a schematic.

On a related subject, a friend of a neighbor asked if I could help dismantle his old Zenith combination. He wanted to keep the cabinet and the stereo.
It turned out to be a 16Z7C50 chassis. The thing must've been kind of a gem because there was only three circuit tubes and the yoke changed in it's entire lifetime. All the sweep tubes were original. :scratch2:
The original CRT was a different story! The only gun that had a good reading was the red gun. The green didn't have a reading at all and the blue barely moved the needle. I rejuvenated the low guns, but the green is still too low to produce a watchable picture. Too bad, as there is no cataracts or yellow halo.

Electronic M 07-19-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3202148)
On a related subject, a friend of a neighbor asked if I could help dismantle his old Zenith combination. He wanted to keep the cabinet and the stereo.
It turned out to be a 16Z7C50 chassis. The thing must've been kind of a gem because there was only three circuit tubes and the yoke changed in it's entire lifetime. All the sweep tubes were original. :scratch2:
The original CRT was a different story! The only gun that had a good reading was the red gun. The green didn't have a reading at all and the blue barely moved the needle. I rejuvenated the low guns, but the green is still too low to produce a watchable picture. Too bad, as there is no cataracts or yellow halo.

If I came upon a set like that if I had a beat up TV set with a good example of the same CRT I'd consider donating my junker's CRT to keep the combo alive if that would sway the owner to do so...If something is a truly excellent example sometimes killing a junker for it's benefit is the right thing to do.

dieseljeep 07-19-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3202163)
If I came upon a set like that if I had a beat up TV set with a good example of the same CRT I'd consider donating my junker's CRT to keep the combo alive if that would sway the owner to do so...If something is a truly excellent example sometimes killing a junker for it's benefit is the right thing to do.

All kidding aside, The owner didn't want to keep the thing as it was!
If it was something I was interested in, I would tried to negotiate a different alternative. :scratch2: