Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   RCA CTC-9 Too much horizontal deflection (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254668)

lnx64 06-17-2012 11:21 PM

RCA CTC-9 Too much horizontal deflection

I know, this is odd for me to be posting on this side of "town". I don't even own a roundie of my own.

But my friend, her roundie, an RCA CTC-9, has a little too much horizontal deflection.. It would appear the horizontal size is quite a bit too large, making people look fat.. It's a TV that has been handed down from her parents, it has NOT been touched as far as I know..

I haven't seen it yet, so I'm going off the text I received.. She uses it once in a while, but last week it was fine, today it's h-size is about 20% larger than what it usually is.

Is there a simple POT for this? Or should I be looking at something else?

mstaton 06-17-2012 11:26 PM

If you look at the yoke, you can move a wire from the center to I think left side to either reduce or enlarge the width. I think it's labeled on the yoke or in the sams.

lnx64 06-17-2012 11:49 PM

Interesting, it's that easy? I thought it'd be harder with these old TV's..

mstaton 06-17-2012 11:57 PM

Try that first. Maybe that easy. The newer RCA sets don't have that feature.. On the top where the blue and red wires reside, you will see a center pin to change the size. Hopefully that's all. If she is using a digital converter box, It may be set to the wrong aspect

lnx64 06-18-2012 12:01 AM

Nah she's using our local cable companies analog VHF stations to pickup 2-13 channels on the tuner, so no scaling or aspect modifications should be involved.

Besides, I would think that if there was aspect modifications involved, it'd only be vertical size, not the horizontal size.

Phil Nelson 06-18-2012 12:49 AM

This part of the CTC-9 schematic mentions the width adjustment.

Phil Nelson

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/CTC-9YokeSchematic.jpg

Charlie 06-18-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnx64 (Post 3039087)
...last week it was fine, today it's h-size is about 20% larger than what it usually is.

Has someone been in there jackin with wires? Sounds like to me something failed (or is failing). If one day it was fine, and another day it wasn't, seems like moving a wire from one point to another is not the answer.

lnx64 06-18-2012 09:49 AM

The TV hasn't been opened up, as far as I know.

She told me this morning that she notices a louder hum coming from the speaker too.

kvflyer 06-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnx64 (Post 3039115)
The TV hasn't been opened up, as far as I know.

She told me this morning that she notices a louder hum coming from the speaker too.

No more plugging it in and turning it on. It sounds as though it is getting ready to release the Factory Installed Smoke which may come from parts that are, shall we say, "Expensive and hard to find?"

Seriously, I would not operate it again until it has been checked...

lnx64 06-18-2012 10:56 AM

Crap. Ok, I'll have her unplug it. I'll need to see if I can over to her house later this week and get some pictures and examine it.

freakaftr8 06-18-2012 11:04 AM

Filter caps! check 'em.. Bet you are getting too much horiz deflection from a cap incresing substantually in value. The hum is another tell tale. The flyback is most likely under alot of stress, the hum through the speaker is a 60hz hum passing the liltering ability of the capacitors in the power supply.

Penthode 06-18-2012 01:38 PM

The hum maybe intercarrier buzz simply be due to the sound demodulator adjustment.

I would like to see a TV screen photograph of what is being discussed before jumping to a conclusion. It seems these days most viewers (not me!!) are content watching anamorphically stretched 4x3 on 16x9 displays. Who is to say that the source of video to the set is not due to a setting from a set top box and has nothing to do with the set's circuitry at all?

Charlie 06-18-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthode (Post 3039140)
Who is to say that the source of video to the set is not due to a setting from a set top box and has nothing to do with the set's circuitry at all?

He did mention that they are using local cable that picks up on 2-13 on the dial.

I would guess a cap is failing.... especially if this set has not been serviced in the past 20+ years.

lnx64 06-19-2012 12:42 AM

Well, I was going to have her get a screen shot, so she plugged it in to get a shot, and well, it's not possible now..

She turned it on, let it warm up, went to grab her phone to snap a pic, and the picture went wider, started to loose vertical deflection, and then the picture faded out.. She has it permanently unplugged now.

This Friday I'm going to go take a look at the caps..

I asked if there was a service sticker, and she sees one service sticker from '71, and that it was a CRT replacement..

mstaton 06-19-2012 12:49 AM

40 years is a long time between services. I vote caps also. There maybe something else wrong now.