Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Dumont Club 20 (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264769)

vts1134 07-20-2015 11:16 AM

Dumont Club 20

On a sleepless night recently I found my self searching through eBay and found a Dumont Club 20 with a BIN. I almost hit the BIN button but thought I'll sleep on it and if the set was there in the morning I'd go for it and worry about how to get it home later. Well it was still there in the morning so I went for it. The seller knew nothing about antique television so the 20BP4 was a roll of the dice. I thought for the price I'd take a gamble.

The set came from this house in a town called Croton-On-Hudson, NY.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psnruxvvuq.jpg

The house (which was known as Hudsonview) was owned by the International Ladies Garment Workers Union: Local 91, and was used as a retreat. They owned the house from 1944 until 1966 so they would have been the original owner's of the Club 20. Set set was hidden behind the credenza on the left side of this picture inside a closet with a movable wall. Who knows how long it sat dormant in that hidden closet.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psbgv3vfxc.jpg

Here's the same room from the time period. It's too bad the photographer wasn't standing on the other side of the room, maybe the TV would have been in the photo :sigh:.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psfjryqrqq.jpg

Fellow VK'er "Tim" was gracious enough to pick up the set for me and take the necessary precautions to keep is safe during transport. He has some photographs of the set and can add his story of the pickup to the thread. The set will be delivered to me on or around August 1st. I plan on doing a full restoration.

pendulum 07-20-2015 12:34 PM

I remember seeing that set. Glad it was someone from here who got it. Keep us posted on the restoration!

Eric H 07-20-2015 01:47 PM

Wow, the exterior of that house looks like stately Wayne Manor, home of millionaire Bruce Wayne!

holmesuser01 07-20-2015 05:09 PM

What a beautiful building. I've got several cabinet TV's that would look great in a setting like this.

Can't wait to see what goes with the DuMont.

StellarTV 07-20-2015 05:34 PM

Wowzers, what a picturesque home and a nice bit of history. Can't picture anything but a Club 20 in that house :)

Electronic M 07-20-2015 06:04 PM

Those early 20" Dumonts sure tend to show up in some interesting stately places, don't they.

Right side of the today picture of that room looks to have a stereo console, and judgin by depth it could be a roundy combo...

PS: With inflation Bruce Wayne being a Millionaire ain't that much of a status symbol (heck in most decent neighborhoods a 4 bedroom home will set you back ~1/3 a million).....There are probably many Millionaires with some small mom & pop business, a lower middle class home, still driving average model cars 12+ years old...

Tim 07-21-2015 02:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Congratulations John. The house was indeed stately. My wife and son went with me on a scenic ride along the Hudson river to pick up the set and see the place. The folks were anxious to talk about the house, the husband grew up there and never remembered seeing the set. He recalled that he did have fun exploring all the hundreds of closets, cubbys and secret hiding places built into the place. The closet under the stairs, where the TV was, had not been opened in recent memory and besides the TV there was a GE console radio and a 40's phonograph. Not nearly as exciting as the TV.

Their teen age daughter asked "where is the remote". I told her that she would have been the remote back when this set was in use.

When I took off the back I saw it had a brightener installed so I figured the CRT was probably well worn. I removed the chassis and HV cage then my son and I carried it up the stairs and out the door to the van. In the mean time my wife was getting to see several of the other rooms.

When we got home, I tested the CRT and surprisingly it slowly came up to just above the "Bad" section and probably will improve with more use. It also had passable cut-off so it probably will produce a watchable picture. Overall the finish should restore nicely but there are a few deep gouges in the top. It is a DEEEEP cabinet. There is very little rust on the chassis.

Here are some photos of the set right after I removed the back and also some of it in my van where it will stay until it gets shipped off to John in a few weeks. Unfortunately either it never had the base with it and it sat on a table or the base was discarded many years ago. I am looking forward to the resoration thread.

BTW - The cabinet to the right was a Harmon Kardon stereo with a Garrard changer, no TV.

magnasonic66 07-21-2015 09:06 AM

Great save, and what a fantastic house! I could really love living there! Looking forward to the TV restoration.

vts1134 07-21-2015 12:09 PM

Does any one else out there have one of these beasts with a stand they would be willing to lend out for a time? I am going to need to have the base reproduced for this one and it would be much easier if I had an original for reference.

Electronic M 07-21-2015 01:37 PM

One of this model was acquired by a member here in the last year or two. If you can find the thread contacting them may prove helpful...Especially considering you may have the second Club 20 known to still exist.

John Marinello 07-21-2015 03:32 PM

He had the set up on the 'Bay restored, you could've had 2!

vts1134 07-21-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Marinello (Post 3138876)
He had the set up on the 'Bay restored, you could've had 2!

I'm not even sure where I'm going to fit one! Let alone two. I know Tom did end up selling his in the end, maybe the new owner is a member here and can help with the base.

John Marinello 07-21-2015 04:02 PM

Quote: Here's the same room from the time period. It's too bad the photographer wasn't standing on the other side of the room, maybe the TV would have been in the photo

Actually, if the photographer was standing on the other side of the room, maybe you would see a prewar set. That photo was likely taken near Christmas of 1944.

Steve D. 07-21-2015 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
DuMont Club 20 RA-106. Some photos. The base is a short platform with angled legs. Hopefully, someone can supply better photos with dimensions.

-Steve D.

rca2000 07-21-2015 11:35 PM

I like that"Only" $995...at a time when that would probably buy a cheap CAR...