Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Why do you like old tv sets? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267345)

Electronic M 02-13-2017 12:03 PM

+1 In the early 90's my folks could not find child proofing for the outlets my infant self could not figure out how to defeat in under 30 min.

I was the kid that rather than run scared from the noise of the vacuum instead looked on with awe and curiosity...

I killed a hybrid Moto WID set at 2-5 because I wanted to know why sound came on before the picture and toggled the power repeatedly till it failed....

As soon as I could hold a screwdriver anything I could dismantle, without getting killed for it, got dismantled.

I have a 70's car and plan to own older ones too soon.

Titan1a 02-13-2017 07:42 PM

Old sets don't require a Masters Degree in Engineering to operate.

Telecolor 3007 02-14-2017 02:48 AM

The ones with more digital options do :smoke: Heck, it took me some time to understeand how to easy memorize the staions on an old 30 channel tv set, but after I understood how to do it, it was easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1LtbSm8l8 Don't blame them. When I was around 15 and half age I wanted to record an episode from "Sailor Moon" onto video cassette, but I dind't know how to make the connection (it was at a relative :tears: - geesh, I wished that I had that dubbed episode on a cassette).
But talking of easines, when I was a kid I found out on my own how te memorize the stations on sets with mecahnichal memory (push button stuff). If you put me to operate me something as complicated as today are smartphones...

Oh, most old tv's got the LOOK. Even some early ones with plastic faces. The early ones made 100% with plastic case (and some up to early '90's) didn't had the look (execept for some portable models), but the plastic dind't look agresive... but after early '90's, they all becamed horrible. Only reason for getting me an 1998-2001 color tv set: good image provided.

Jon A. 02-14-2017 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 (Post 3178607)
The ones with more digital options do :smoke: Heck, it took me some time to understeand how to easy memorize the staions on an old 30 channel tv set, but after I understood how to do it, it was easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1LtbSm8l8 Don't blame them. When I was around 15 and half age I wanted to record an episode from "Sailor Moon" onto video cassette, but I dind't know how to make the connection (it was at a relative :tears: - geesh, I wished that I had that dubbed episode on a cassette).
But talking of easines, when I was a kid I found out on my own how te memorize the stations on sets with mecahnichal memory (push button stuff). If you put me to operate me something as complicated as today are smartphones...

Oh, most old tv's got the LOOK. Even some early ones with plastic faces. The early ones made 100% with plastic case (and some up to early '90's) didn't had the look (execept for some portable models), but the plastic dind't look agresive... but after early '90's, they all becamed horrible. Only reason for getting me an 1998-2001 color tv set: good image provided.

Cool! Some of those kids were open to using an old TV even though they didn't get to see an actual picture. Clean the volume control, feed it a signal and shape 'em while they're still young.

At one time I didn't know how to hook up a VCR; I knew I had to use a coaxial cable but didn't know which F-connector to use on the VCR. Fortunately there was no harm in hooking it up wrong.

In my opinion, not knowing how to use a smartphone is no loss and you're better off. I'm sure I could learn how to use one but that would go against my lifetime practice of running in the other direction.

Agreed on the look of old sets. The newest set I have by far is a 19" set from 1987 that has a particle board cabinet and plastic face, but I think it looks good. Sure, particle board isn't desirable, but not many table sets from that time are made with it and it's in excellent condition.

rose14 02-21-2017 07:19 PM

crt sets still have better depth of color and motion compared to modern flat screens .

Dude111 03-08-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvenMaster
To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.

They sure are!!!

I love CRTs .. I do not like digital crap..... I prefer natural colours and analogue!!

TV Engineer 03-14-2017 05:25 PM

Simply put: They work, and rarely fail. When they do, pennies bring them back to life in most cases.

I'd stack any solid state set made in the early 70s up through the mid 80s next to this "buy a new one every 3 years" BS on the market today.

I have a 17" 1980 Sony in my spare bedroom, a 1981 Sony 15" in my kitchen, and a 1985 Sony 19" in the main bedroom. All pulled from the trash. One or two electrolytics replaced in each to restore them to perfect operating condition. CRTs all look as new. All 3 on digital converters and outdoor antenna. The 1985 Sony has AV inputs, so it's been brought into the 21st century with a Roku box.

We have the second to last Sony HD, 16X9, 34" CRT set in the LR (KD34XS960- 2006). Has internal digital tuner. It's on the outdoor antenna too, but it's also tethered to Fios basic service. Trash picked with the matching stand, remote, and instructions. Replaced two ICs in the power supply 5 years ago when I got it ($11), and it's worked since. Yeah, it's a heavy beast, but it fits nicely in the corner we have it in.

My mother (and almost everyone I know that has one) has replaced her flat panel every three years after failures.

Need I say any more?

dtuomi 03-15-2017 11:45 PM

I like them because they're attractive to look at. A lot of old TV's are industrial art.

David

Marco-nix 03-17-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3178608)

In my opinion, not knowing how to use a smartphone is no loss and you're better off. I'm sure I could learn how to use one but that would go against my lifetime practice of running in the other direction.

I agree, i'm near 60 years old and,I know the old stuff but i can't say momething on a smartphone, Ipad or Iphone... this kind of stuff is very stranged to me.. I don't know how work this kind of stuff. However, talk me about old tv, old radio and many others old stuf, ahhhhhhhh i know how work the old stuff ;). I have no modern tv ( plasma , LCD or what ever.. ) i have about 10 old tv with a CRT only, old transistor radios.... old watches and old clocks....that's better than the new stuff.

Gleb 04-19-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvenMaster (Post 3165939)
To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.
Think about it. Glass bulbs. Red-hot glowing elements. Bits of steel plates. Coils of wire. Tubes of paper, wax and aluminum. Pieces of carbon with wires sticking out. Doughnut shaped pieces of ferrite metal bits. Crude, simple, elementary bits and pieces of raw materials combined in just the right way, inside a box to pluck moving pictures and sound out of thin air, able to bring news, entertainment, sports, major events, to one's very own home.

...and the tiny electrons flying many thousands of miles per second, hit the screen and force the phosphor to light up!

http://s45.radikal.ru/i107/1704/ca/44272423c09f.jpg

That's my favourite view of an old television, I almost see those electron beams drawing the picture!

mrjukebox160 04-19-2017 06:51 PM

That is a really cool picture!

Sandy G 04-19-2017 08:52 PM

I was born & raised in NE Tennessee....This area was pretty destitute..We're talking LBJ/Great Society here.A color set represented what we thought folks in the "real" America had.

Kevin Kuehn 04-19-2017 09:04 PM

Sandy is back. Yeah :banana:

dieseljeep 04-19-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3182871)
I was born & raised in NE Tennessee....This area was pretty destitute..We're talking LBJ/Great Society here.A color set represented what we thought folks in the "real" America had.

Welcome back!
Glad to see everything is back to normal. :thmbsp:

Electronic M 04-19-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3182871)

Good to hear from you again! Welcome Back Kotter.:D