Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ready to begin on my roundie (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=32423)

Steve K 02-22-2005 06:49 PM

The orange caps may be original. Zenith used those for a long time. As far as purity, pull the yoke back toward the base of the CRT then adjust the purity rings so that the red spot is in the center of the screen. Push the yoke towards the front of the set until the red fills the screen. Of course you should degauss it first the best you can.
Steve

mbates14 02-22-2005 07:44 PM

yea i know, thats what I did. the spot got a little bigger when I pushed it back to the bell, but it didnt cover the whole area.

the service manual says to pull it back but-up against the convergence yoke WITHOUT turning the yoke, just pull it back. I did that. I set the rings where the spot was near teh center, I push the yoke back up to the bell, and the spot got bigger, and its red all the way from the center to the right of the screen. but its still blue on the left.

oh well. I dont have a degusser. the big black thermister on mine just smokes.

nasadowsk 02-22-2005 08:51 PM

Sounds like your tuner is dirty. If it's the turret type, I take out that whole assembly and clean EVERYTHING in there well. i don't recommend it, but you theoretically can soak the tunner in something like simple green. Gotta wash with clean water and make sure it's really dry prior to power, or *poof*

TV tunner 'cleaner' is evil stuf. it gums up, attracts dirt, so they sprayed more and more in there, and it never does anything real anyway.
BTW, the diff between regular and 'color' was that 'color' was scented!

I find once you get all the crap out, buff up the springs with an eraser or such, and form them out a it to make better contact, the turret type tunners work nicely. Switch types, you just clean and pray :(

mbates14 02-22-2005 09:29 PM

I fixed the tuner, i cleaned the whole thing out. all the connections were all gumed up and nasty.

after this. I got one thing to day

ITS ALIVE!!!!! I HAVE GREAT SOUND AND NOT SO GREAT PICTURE!!!!

i have it on cspan. I absolutly CANNOT get teh convergence to work whatsoever.

the dynamic controls take very little effect. Also, I had to use the slugs on the convergence yoke to get it to line up perfect in the center, but I can't get the blue to line up :no:

and I absolutly cannot get the purity right. I think the CRT is magnetized and my degausser is not working. my soldering gun kinda works, but not really.

Also, does anyone have any 6KT8s they can send me? this set has 2, and one of them with open filiment.

i had no pic or sound. just raster. So, i took the 6KT8 out of the color osc circuit, and put it in the AGC/sync/sound circuit. and now, I have a watchable picture and good sound, but no color, because I dont have the 6kt8 for the 3.58mhz osc stage.

I will post pictures ASAP. i need batteries

Charlie 02-22-2005 09:39 PM

Convergence might need some caps or rectifiers changed on it's board. Might be best not to worry bout convergence at this point. You probably still need lytics and other caps on the main chassis. That could end up changing any convergence set up you do now... so you'd have to do it all over again once you go thru the chassis really good.

Using the soldering gun for degaussing has it's limitations. I've degaussed the same way, but, usually takes me a good while to get it "acceptable". One of these days i'll think to buy a coil. They're not that expensive... I just never seem to think about it at the right time.

Charlie 02-22-2005 09:42 PM

Oh yeah Mike... just remembered... you might try turning the set 90 degrees. In my garage, purity looks like crap when I have the set turned one way, but gets much better if i turn it some. You may or may not get the same affect... but it's worth a try.

mbates14 02-22-2005 10:01 PM

lol. the set is currently facing north/south. the pix tube bell is facing the north, the front is facing south.

Anyway, thats what I was tought when doing convergence. I do the same with projo TVs.

there is no color, I need a 6KT8. mine has a toasted filiment.

the chassis is working perfect. I dont know about the color yet.

vertical, horizontal, sync, everything is locked on and perfect.

cant say so much for the tuner. the only thing I can get right now is cspan. YUCK.

the fine tuning gear that sticks into the tuner to turn the slug on the rotator shaft is broken, so I cant fine tune it. :cry:

the VHF pilot lite is also out. so I guess i can pick them up at ratshack for a dime a dozen.

the UHF one still works. i guess it was never used much. :banana:

mbates14 02-22-2005 11:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
please dont point the finger at me and laugh too hard now :cry:

but im stuck here, and cant advance any farther till i get a 6KT8.

right now, there is no color as the color circuits arnt operating, but the picture in person looks much worse than it does on camera, you cant see the purity problem on the camera. Its a B&W picture, but it sure dont look like it. :cry: :cry:

Here is the picts

Charlie 02-23-2005 12:01 AM

Mike,

Why is your only choice of channel C-SPAN? That sucks!

While you're waiting to get a 6KT8, you need to do some house keeping in there. I'm seeing lots of dust. That yoke is looking pretty nasty. In some cases, many problems are fixed by cleaning the chassis. I usually get old make-up brushes from girl friends. They work great for gently getting the dust out in conjunction with a vaccuum cleaner hose. I wouldnt recommend a shop vac... that could suck up something you might want to keep. An old Electrolux or something of the sort is good.

When I first got my Curtis Mathes, it was really dusty in there. Wouldn't put a picture on the screen to save it's life. After dusting everything off, it started working. Have had the same experiences with old radio chassis. Considering that Zenith chassis have all of those test points and terminal solder points on the top side of the chassis, lots of dust can effect your picture.

I realize this doesn't fix your color or convergence issues, but, a good cleaning job would be a good idea.

Here's another idea for your convergence... if you're not getting enough movement on the screen as you slide the magnets back and forth on the neck, slide the little magnet stick out all the way, turn it around 180 degrees, and put it back in. That might make a difference for you. I've had to do that before with good results.

By the way... what's the front of the set look like? I don't recall you posting a pic of it yet.

Steve K 02-23-2005 12:15 AM

Mike:

Your convergence is so far off you may not get purity. The static convergence looks pretty far off so I wouldn't do anything yet with dynamic. Make sure that the coils and blue lateral magnet are in the proper locations. If you can not get one or another color to move enough in the center of the screen pull the magnet (the entire white plastic thing) out of the convergence coil and reverse it 180 degrees and put it back in. Sometimes this will help.
Steve

yagosaga 02-23-2005 12:50 AM

Mike:
here are soime test patterns for color and convergence:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...t/testbild.htm

download the JPEGs and burn them on a CD and insert it into a DVD player. With the grid pattern (Gittertestbild) you can adjust convergence and with the red screen-JPEG (Roter Bildschirm...) you can easily adjust purity.
The JPEGs will fit in NTSC too, perhaps you might have a black bar on the left or right side.

mbates14 02-23-2005 10:42 AM

one problem. its not english. i cant read foreign languages for crap.

BTW I turned the blue lateral magnet all the way around, it didnt make a difference.

ive had those white pull magnets all the way out and in.

I had to use those to get the bottom to converge. but no where else did. :scratch2:

BTW, I do have a pic of the front of the set. its in another thread which you may delete now.

mbates14 02-23-2005 10:46 AM

I cant get channel 3 because the fine tune gear is broken. :cry:

i dont know where to get a 6KT8, i was hoping you may have one :thmbsp:

Steve K 02-23-2005 11:53 AM

Mike:

Just go to his site and click on the highlighted links and you will get the test patterns. A working knowledge of the German language is not necessary.

mbates14 02-23-2005 12:28 PM

i got the test patterns, but the DVD player I have wont show slide shows. it says invalid disc and spits it back out. stupid new-fangled technology. lol.

it only plays DVDs. wont play CDs or others. it will play music CDs without a problem, will NOT play video CDs or picture CDs

it doesnt have an RF jack either. so its crappy.

Anyway I rotate those sticks on the yoke at 180 and it fixed the convergence! but still, the purity is screwed. it needs degaussed. if anyone knows how to rig a modern degausser coil and circuit to an old TV let me know.

it all pulled nicely in the center. I redid the dynamics, and i got the bottom and center to perfectly converge, but the top and the extreme right wont converge. If i try to converge those, it throws the rest off.