Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Greetings from a 15 year old (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253431)

ledzep1968 02-09-2012 07:09 PM

Greetings from a 15 year old

I learned about this site from the sister site AudioKarma. And I thought it would be nice to join this site at well since I have an interest in vintage electronics and cinema.

Regards, Zach.
:)

Sandy G 02-09-2012 07:16 PM

"ledzep1968"...My God, kid, ain't that Ancient Histry for you ?!? (grin)

Kamakiri 02-10-2012 12:32 PM

Welcome aboard Zach, from someone that's been on Audiokarma a long time. In fact, I started the place :D

Electronic M 02-10-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3026612)
"ledzep1968"...My God, kid, ain't that Ancient Histry for you ?!? (grin)

I'm 20 and have preferred to listen to Swing for most of my life so it don't seem that odd to me, Sandy.

I've been collecting tube radios and audio equip since I was around 5, fixing radios since around a decade ago, and seriously messing with vintage TVs since about 14.

Once you get the tube gear bug you end up with tonnage and have to evaluate/pair down your collection periodically to keep form running out of space for the new acquisitions that you just can't leave on the side of the road or keep your wallet shut after seeing. The tech that got me started fixing radios likes to say the only cure for collecting this stuff is when you take the big dirt nap.

daro 02-10-2012 10:24 PM

Welcome aboard Zach,

I have been in the electronics trade since around late 1986 but now am retired as there is no real challenge in being a PCB jockey now days & no longer repairing things at the component level as I was trained to do.

I have been into the electronics side of things since I was quite young & used to fix valve (tube) radios & TV's in the late 70's & graduated to colour (color) TV's in the early 80's.

I will still get my hands dirty in that old technology as I'm pretty well versed in it.

These days I'm also into computers in a big way & I build a lot of the PC's that I use, So I would call myself a computer geek & darn proud of it. :)

bandersen 02-10-2012 11:03 PM

Welcome to VK :wave:
I started mucking around with vintage electronics when I was around your age.
I make a living as a website and smart phone programmer these days, but find this old tube stuff far more interesting :yes:

Username1 02-11-2012 06:33 PM

welcome!

Komet 02-12-2012 01:43 PM

Welcome! :wave:

jbivy 02-21-2012 07:18 PM

Welcome to the forum.

This is a rather helpfull forum, the people are all rather nice. Ive learned a ton since showing up.

Sandy G 02-21-2012 07:48 PM

Yeah, Kid, don't pay no attention to me...I'm 100 years older than yr average Rock...(grin) In 1968, I was 11, & just starting to think MAYBE, just MAYBE, that Girls just MIGHT be useful for something other than Making Cry, or chucking small Rocks at...I also remember that was the year the Gummint made car makers put side-marker lights on cars, & made 'em take stand-up hood ornaments off, in the name of "Safety"...They also made 'em put headrests on cars, Volkswagens looked particularly silly, new Bugs that year always looked like they had 2 Nuns ridin' up front...

Einar72 02-21-2012 11:33 PM

Welcome, young one!
Gee whiz, Sandy, I'm older than you! In 1968 I had my paper route, and a 6V sealed beam headlamp on my bike. I used to marvel at the reflectors all shiny and new back then when I shined the light on them, PLUS Washington State had just switched to reflectorized plates! I would visit the stop-n-go by the park and buy a giant "psychedelic bubble gum", which was several dozen pieces of multi-colored gum pressed in to the exact same shape as a Salvo detergent tablet - remember them?

DavGoodlin 02-22-2012 09:51 AM

Welcome Zach, I hope the right forum in this diverse mix appeals to your interest.

Ah, the fearless knowledge you will acquire in this twisted hobby. You will no longer fear, but respect high voltage RF.

In dealing with the discrete and basic components (not chips, embedded processors and all the other crap used today) in the vintage consumer electronics, especially tubes and transistors, you can fix anything from a new appliance to a vintage TV and anything between.

BTW - Zepplin sounds even better while staring at an amp's beam power audio output tubes in a dark room. I.E. 6BQ5's in a Fisher HiFi

holmesuser01 02-24-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzep1968 (Post 3026611)
I learned about this site from the sister site AudioKarma. And I thought it would be nice to join this site at well since I have an interest in vintage electronics and cinema.

Regards, Zach.
:)

What are you looking for in cinema?

Harvestman 03-06-2012 07:05 PM

Welcome from another audio- and video-obsessed 17-year-old.

sanjarali 03-08-2012 03:06 PM

also from me a good welcome!!! :banana::banana::thmbsp:

much similar to your youth, I am a young person. In my country of Oman, television was first ةشىغ only for the ruling class. To see a boy of 15 with a television would to cause an arrest of the palace guard! :sigh::sigh:

Many wonderful شىي :music:things contained in your nation اثممخ صثمؤخةثس