Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   International Vintage Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   and for something more colourful... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268560)

ceebee23 02-19-2017 05:16 AM

and for something more colourful...

1 Attachment(s)
"Promotional image of colour television sets on exhibition at The University of Melbourne's Wilson Hall."

Television Sets at Exhibition Stand, Parkville, Victoria, 28 May 1959

(sadly picture is b/w)

why how and for what I do not know... but colour television experiments and demonstrations occurred in Australia throughout the 1960s

old_tv_nut 02-19-2017 12:05 PM

Thanks for posting! I note they didn't put the convergence panels down before the press photographer did his thing. Also, I wonder if the reason for two color sets was to show that a color set could display both color and B&W? That bit of education was part of RCA color TV ads for a long time.

Robert Grant 02-19-2017 07:20 PM

I wonder whether they adapted sets to NTSC/B 625/25 or if they had set up the demonstration with NTSC/M 525/30 camera equipment.

Odd that they would have been demonstrating it in Australia that far back. Color TV did not come to Australia until 1975.

old_tv_nut 02-19-2017 09:37 PM

PAL was patented in 1962, so obviously was worked on earlier.
It is not strange that RCA would have been demonstrating NTSC that early in hopes of getting it preemptively adopted in Australia.

ceebee23 02-19-2017 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An update on the where ... and why .. the demonstration was part of an trade exhibition by the industry in May 1959 ... another image of the exhibition is attached.

We know one of the the tv networks wanted to broadcast in colour because advertisers wanted it. (Australia had three networks in 1959)

However, a combination of issues with NTSC (real or imagined) and the promise of better systems ie PAL or SECAM just around the corner plus the reluctance of the Treasury to fund the conversion of the national broadcaster the ABC (an Australian version of the BBC) meant it would take until 1975 for colour to arrive in Australia.

Papers released some time ago showed that Treasury was worried about the impact of large amounts of imports on Australian cash reserves. (Well that was their excuse!)

But I think a big part of the problem was a bureaucracy that didn't like TV at all. They had delayed b/w TV until the IOC insisted that TV be available for the 1956 Olympics!

As to whether the RCA sets shown in the picture were 625/50 or 525/60 ...nothing on the photo site says anything (and I doubt the photographers would have understood the question in 1959)

I wish the picture was in colour and that there were more shots...

old_tv_nut 02-19-2017 10:52 PM

Just for grins, I looked up 47 York Street, Sydney on Google street view, and it's the AWA building.

ceebee23 02-20-2017 05:32 AM

hehe indeed... famous building