Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My first vintage color set (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265207)

bigaudioal 09-14-2015 04:05 PM

My first vintage color set

5 Attachment(s)
Well, about 3 and a half years after getting started in this hobby I have obtained my first color set. A 1956 RCA CTC5 Arliss. Very clean cabinet. Virtually untouched chassis (counted 5 orange drop replacement caps - that's it). Rebuilt, tests like NEW on all 3 guns 21AXP22.

I am excited and crapping my pants all at the same time. :D Have plenty of members to guide me during the restoration, which is good. Enjoy the photos.

bigaudioal 09-14-2015 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Additional photos . . .

Gregb 09-14-2015 04:35 PM

Way to go Al! I am still looking and doubt very much I will ever find one in my area as TV broadcasting came so late here. Maybe someday I will make it down to the convention and I will be lucky enough to get one as nice as you have there!

Gregb

DaveWM 09-14-2015 04:42 PM

Nice!

One thing to watch out for is the 100ohm center convergence pots, they are often bad and VERY hard to source (dual pots with taps). Other than that its very straight forward. The 5's have a rep for weak HV, so be prepared for that when working on it. Most of them struggle to get to 21kv, Maybe it was RCA trying to avoid X ray fears. The next model (CTC7) and all the rest had a very robust HV supply.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but there were two CTC-5 chassis, the standard and the delux. The standard IIRC has a PCB chroma section while the delux has a point to point. its not real easy to see since again IIRC the standard PCB is shielded so it does not show the PCB material from the top.

Username1 09-14-2015 05:26 PM

Congrats ! Nice tv, and a plus - good picture tube ! !
Good Luck with repairs/restoration !
The cabinet says "Delux" on it, so as long
as it's the original chassis, it has the delux chassis !
Another Plus ! !

Electronic M 09-14-2015 08:36 PM

Did the cutoff test good on the AXP?....Mine tests great, but is too gassy to use...The symptom all-or-nothing (neon bulb action) cutoff.

Sandy G 09-14-2015 08:56 PM

Ahh HATE Yew !-Y. Sam, Philosopher Extraordinaire... Naw, not really... Glad to see ANOTHER veteran has a chance to live again, & display "Glorious Lollipop Color" that delighted its 1st owners nearly 60 (Gulp !) years ago..

bigaudioal 09-15-2015 03:01 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe it is the deluxe chassis, but now know how to confirm once removing the plate over the PCB chroma section.

I believe all three guns on the 21AXP had good cutoff response on Kamakiri's CRT tester. I have not tested myself, but was there when he tested it on Saturday and it looked good. CRT was rebuilt in the 1970s and I believe NEVER used after rebuild.

Kamakiri 09-15-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3143595)
Did the cutoff test good on the AXP?....Mine tests great, but is too gassy to use...The symptom all-or-nothing (neon bulb action) cutoff.

Cutoff was probably the strongest I've ever seen testing a tube :)

Steve D. 09-15-2015 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CTC-5 Chassis I.D. Use this as reference in identifying your CTC-5 chassis.

-Steve D.

Findm-Keepm 09-15-2015 05:30 PM

Very nice, looking forward to the resto thread!

Radiotronman 09-15-2015 05:48 PM

Awesome find! Have fun restoring that gem!!

DavGoodlin 09-16-2015 09:15 AM

The red of that AX looks awesome in that second pic, Al,......Oh Duh:stupid:, thats a blanket

That CTC5 is a Deluxe chassis also, right?

bigaudioal 09-16-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3143735)
The red of that AX looks awesome in that second pic, Al,......Oh Duh:stupid:, thats a blanket

That CTC5 is a Deluxe chassis also, right?

Ha!! Yeah, that's the blanket in the back of my truck. Transported the good CRT seat-belted in next to me riding shotgun. Yep, this is the Deluxe chassis.

Stlouisian 09-21-2015 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on the same Model with a different chassis number. My is CTC5 AA. Mine also has a rebuilt 21AXP22A. On the bases of the picture tube it has a number of 6204. Any idea what this means?

Ross