Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Color TV Memory (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=3410)

Eric H 12-20-2002 10:12 PM

Color TV Memory

I remembered the other day about a color set I had for a short time when I was a teenager (i.e. about 28 years ago)

My folks brought home an old (even then) Sears Tabletop model color TV.

I can barely remember it, I swear it had a round CRT but was definitely not a 21" nor was it a 15GP22

So, what are my options here? anyone have some Sears catalogs from the late 50's?

BTW, the set didn't work, didn't know how to fix it then so it went back to the junkyard I suppose.

Eric

Steve K 12-20-2002 11:26 PM

Eric

I have most of the Sears catalogs from the 1950s and none of them show any color sets so I can't help you there. I guess that Sears preferred to have color sets bought in the stores and not through the catalog. Color TVs did not get put into the catalogs until the mid 60s. Wish I could help:(

Steve K

Rob 12-21-2002 03:41 AM

Who else made 19" round color sets briefly besides Motorola in what was it 1955? What sayeth oh Steve McVoy? :)

Eric, Steve probably has your old set. ;)

Rob

Eric H 12-21-2002 06:53 PM

Rob, the set was big and heavy but not 1955 big & heavy.

I seem to remember it had a tri color logo or the word "Color" below the screen. It could have been early 60's but I just can't see it being a 21" set. Damn, I wish I'd kept it!

I recently threw out a mid-late 60's Sears set that was 15" rectangular.
It was Japanese made and not very interesting, had a bad CRT too so out it went.

Eric

wvsaz 12-21-2002 09:19 PM

Sears Color Set

Eric,

Prior to 1960 our local Sears store carried only b&w sets. From 1960-1963, I frequented the TV department at Sears to watch color. The only sets I saw then were 21" round sets. Those were supplied to Sears by Wells Gardner of Chicago, who also made Sears' black & white sets. I remember the 15" rectangular Japanese set. It was introduced in the mid-60's ('66?) and was a low priced set ($349?). I worked on a few of those.

Eric H 12-21-2002 10:28 PM

Sears

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the Sears, maybe I shouldn't have tossed it but I was tired of tripping over it and I don't think I could have found anyone willing to pay shipping for the beast.

Is there anyone who collects Color portables from the 60's?
I have a 14" CRT out of an RCA that I would like to get rid of also.

Eric

kc8adu 12-21-2002 11:11 PM

Re: Sears

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric H
Here's a picture of the Sears, maybe I shouldn't have tossed it but I was tired of tripping over it and I don't think I could have found anyone willing to pay shipping for the beast.

Is there anyone who collects Color portables from the 60's?
I have a 14" CRT out of an RCA that I would like to get rid of also.

Eric

maybe that crt will fit a neighbors zenith.
someone shot it dead with a rejuvenater while trying to fix it.
btw that set in the pic was likely a toshiba

Steve D. 12-23-2002 04:41 PM

Sears set

Hey Guys,
I also remember a Sears rectangular color set around 1964 or so. It was similar to Eric's set but I remember it was a small wood console, no handle, made in Japan with the Silvertone nameplate. It looked strange sitting among the big 21" Silvertone color consoles. several years ago I was given two of these sets which sat stacked on each other for a while. I finally tossed them. As far as 19" color sets of the early 50's; Motorola of course and CBS Columbia and Capehart (which is in my collection). If anyone knows of additional brands, I would be interested.

kc8adu 12-24-2002 05:58 PM

the mini console style table sets were panasonics.
sears'penneys and grants sold these private labeled for them.
they were ok but it was a problem getting a 30ae3 damper tube that didnt arc.