Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Why is this script causing trouble? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254573)

miniman82 06-07-2012 08:53 PM

Why is this script causing trouble?

It keeps locking up my browser (firefox)

Script: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/lib...query.min.js:3

zenithfan1 06-07-2012 10:19 PM

What is the script for? The site is working fine for me. (using safari on a macbook 10.7.4)

holmesuser01 06-07-2012 11:18 PM

I'm seeing ad double click pop up several times while the site is loading every page.

mstaton 06-08-2012 03:12 AM

I get URL not found.

Sandy G 06-08-2012 06:11 AM

Its acting REAL wonky for me, too...Sign on, you CAN'T go to "New Posts" for a minute, the "Hourglass" icon comes up, & THEN you can go to new posts...And here & over yonder, I gotta hit the "Back" button 2-3X before it will go back to the previous screen. SOMETHING'S messed up.

petehall347 06-08-2012 06:18 AM

your link takes me to this error ..
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL /ajax/libs/jquery/1.6/jquery.min.js:3 was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

snelson903 06-08-2012 07:24 AM

its reacting slow and delayed for me ,like it stuttering. i had trouble uploading pictures at 4:00 am

miniman82 06-08-2012 11:07 PM

It's not a URL, it just shows up as a link because of the HTTP thing. I gather it's some ad somewhere that's wreaking havoc with Firefox. I would have thought it wouldn't get through at all, since I have noscript.

Opcom 06-23-2012 03:16 AM

Google AJAX APIs is a JavaScript library to integrate rich, multimedia, search, or feed-based Internet content into web applications/pages.

This means it can eat tremendous resources. To block hogging and unnecessary scripts and ads, a three-pronged approach that works here is "MVPS hosts" which re-routs all requests by/for ad servers to a local port where there is nothing, "noscript" which blocks all javascript unless expressly allowed by the computer operator on a site by site basis, and ghostery which blocks the ads and trackers you do not wish to allow. I guess I miss out on soe content or funtions but it's a good trade in my book. I have not seen an ad or pop-window all day. all week maybe.

ohohyodafarted 06-24-2012 02:19 PM

Having the same resource hoging in my system too. Running XP on a very high power machine. Can't imagine how poorly this is running on older systems. Taking on average 10 seconds for a page to finish loading on my sys now. Dont have problems on any other site I go to. I am now avoiding VK because of this problem. VK site manager needs to remove these resource hoging issues from this site or risk losing viewers. THIS SITE NOW SUCKS!

zenithfan1 06-24-2012 02:23 PM

The site runs super fast for me, but I'm using a MacBook Pro not a windows machine. Does it only affect windows or are there any mac users experiencing this too?

ohohyodafarted 06-24-2012 02:48 PM

OK I think I now know what the problem is. This is just an educated guess. I have been investigating the issue of F'ing Apple refusing to support Adobe Flash Player on the latest iOS opperating system that Apple is using on the new portable devices. Seems that Jobs had a hard on for Adobe because Flash Player had a bug that was causing Apple machines to crash and Adobe was draging their feet about fixing the bug. So the relationship between Apple and Adobe went sour and Jobs decided to scrap support for Flash on the latest Apple OS.

As a result there is now a push for open source HTML5 which supports a <video> tag to play video without the need for a Flash Player (which was proprietary and owned by Adobe) There is a consortium of Open Source folks that are behind a push to have native support within brousers for video and no need for a proprietary video player attachment.

The highest brouser supported in XP is IE8. IE8 does not have any HTML5 support. IE9 does have HTML5 support. I fired up my laptop which runs Vista and IE9. I went to the VK site and pages are loading about 3 to 4 times faster. I understand that Google Chrome supports HTML5. I think I will do some testing to find out if Chrome runs VK on XP better than IE8. If I am successful I will report back here with reuslts.

Adobe Flash has been the de-facto platform for online video for years and it works just fine. I am rather pissed that the open source community has decided to screw with something that was not broken, simply because they dont like proprietary software. If that is the case then all the leftist Open Source jerks that support Apple products should throw their machines in the trash because Apple has been doing things to thwart competition and the use of only Apple applications since they were a start up. Apple hates it when anybody has an application that runs independently from Apple and steals revenue from Apple's pocket. I WILL NEVER OWN ANTHING MADE BY APPLE!

ohohyodafarted 06-24-2012 06:23 PM

XP users will need to Upgrade to a new browser!!!

As I suspected the problem is that IE8 is no longer good enough to support newer HTML protocalls; namely HTML5. I have upgraded to Google Chrome and pages from this web site are now loading fast as lightening.

The chrome GUI will take a bit of getting used to, but the alternative to sticking with IE8 is even a worse PITA.

When you update to Chrome, you will have an option to "Sign IN" to a Google account that will upload you old Internet Explorer Favorites to a Google server for storage. I chose NOT to do that because I wanted to keep my favorites on my local hard drive and not on Google's servers. There is an advantage to uploading the favorites to Googles servers. The advantage is that if you use Chrome on multiple computers, all your favorites will be available on every one of your computers and when you add a favorite, it will show up on any one of your computers that you log into that is using Chrome as your browser.

So I am moving on from IE8 to Chrome and I am not looking back. I probably will not upgrade from XP so long as It serves me well. I have a custom built machine and much software that would need to be upgraded if I move to W7 and I do not intend to buy all my applications all over again. I spent enough in the beginning and I am not going to Upgrade to all new versions of my applications just so that I can move to a newer OS.

Good luck to all! I do recomend that you at least move to a new browser if you are still using IE8. You can go here http://html5forxp.com

Electronic M 06-25-2012 03:02 AM

I haven't had and issues with firefox being slow, but this might explain why in the last month or two my laptop has been emitting a beep, powering down, and being hotter than a tube TV on the underside immediately after such events.

ohohyodafarted 06-25-2012 01:33 PM

I did some more testing today. It appears that there are bugs in Chrome. The border color in the FrameSet on my web site did not display in Chrome. It works properly in all IE versions and also in Firefox which I downloaded this morning and have been testing. At this point I am inclined to use Firefox even though it appears that Chrome is better at rendering HTML5. I also like the more traditional "Microsoft Style" GUI in Firefox. So for now at least I think I will be using Firefox. Chrome seems to be a bit faster, but perhaps that is because it does not implement all of the HTML tags properly. I use FrameSets on my website. Many web designers don't like FrameSets and so they may be intentionally abandoning support of older code in Chrome, which is in my opinion, something that should not be done. All newer software whould be backward compatible with older versions. Programmers should not have to re-write code that is not broken!