Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Best Current Radio?? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=26794)

Yamaha B-2 11-14-2004 01:56 PM

Best Current Radio??

My mother would like to get a decent radio without the size involved in a receiver with speakers. I am thinking Henry Kloss' Tivoli, as it gets decent reviews. Someone else has recommended the GE Superadio (which is, obviously, no longer a GE product). But I am wondering what some of you might be listening to out there and what you think/recommend?

This will be a kitchen/breakfast room radio and must be something readily available in the U.S.

Also, having good-to-excellent selectivity is a requirement, as her local NPR stations is being infringed upon by a nearby 50kW station spouting its propaganda.

Thanks for your help.

grumpy 11-14-2004 02:02 PM

Its hard to go wrong with the Tivoli for 100.00 new. My bedroom system consists of a KLH 21. If you go the vintage route like i did it will certainly cost more since any table radio 30-40 years old will need an alignment. That makes the tivoli which i happen to like that much more appealing.

Grumpy

Celt 11-14-2004 02:09 PM

Either the GE or the Tivoli are good choices. If she wants portability, then give the nod to the GE. The Tivoli may require an external antenna for the best performance and it's AM performance is only so-so. Most people buy the GE for the superior AM reception and switchable bandwidth. The Tivoli has the better build quality and very nice real wood cabinets. Both are good sounding radios.

radioactive 11-14-2004 10:39 PM

ill second the ge superradio.i have one and the selectivity is excellent even with the built in ferrite rod antenna and im sure it would do what you want it to.cant comment on the tivoli though ive wanted one but just never got around to picking one up.another radio to consider is the c crane although a bit more expensive than either the ge or tivoli it should also be quite selective.c crane
chris

Sandy G 11-15-2004 07:51 AM

I dunno-I have a Superradio 3 & have been a bit disappointed w/it. Just doesn't seem to be all that sensitive, build quality only average, just isn't quite what I expected. But then, I might be jaded-I judge AM stuff by R-390A standards, & FM stuff by my ICOM R-7000. -Sandy G.

styler 11-15-2004 08:12 AM

radio recs

i too have the super radio... not what it used to be. need to get t modded! LOL

i'd go to a thrift store and look for a radio... on the other hand, i have heard the Tivoli and it sounds very good and is very simple.

rat shack has Grundigs on sale here... they have some extras which might be nice in emergencies. just a thought.

Fuzzy Lumpkins 11-15-2004 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactive
another radio to consider is the c crane although a bit more expensive than either the ge or tivoli it should also be quite selective.c crane
chris

The CC radio plus is an Excellent radio with great selectivity.

jstout66 11-15-2004 11:23 AM

I was going to suggest the CC Radio as well. I lucked out and got one at a garage sale for $6.00 and it is by far the best radio with the most logical lay-out that I have ever used. I loved it so much I took it to work and now have it on my desk. My opinion on the Superadio... CRAP. I have one and in my opinion it sucks. It is over-rated and has a "cheap" feel about it.

glen65 11-15-2004 01:34 PM

The GE superadio I and II were pretty good radios for the money but I
wasnt inpressed with the superadio III. I agree with some of the other
selections made in other posts. I would lean towards the CC radio or
or somthing like the Sangean ATS818ACS.

Fisherdude 11-15-2004 07:33 PM

Since your mom is probably not a super-critical listener, and is looking for something reasonably compact and kitchen-breakfast nook friendly, have you given any thought to a B-b-b to a B-b-b-o- to a B-b-b-o-o...

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to say it!

Clay :sigh:

Yamaha B-2 11-15-2004 07:40 PM

Nooooo!!!!! A thousand times noooooooo!!! We'd rather die a sterile, music-less death!!

But, thanks to all for your feedback. Probably go with the Tivoli now that I know it has the capability for an external antenna.

grumpy 11-15-2004 07:49 PM

If ya didn't know the tivoli has some nifty neato stuff like a Subwoofer and CDP to match the radio.

Grumpy

Sandy G 11-15-2004 07:55 PM

Just a wild-ass thought..why not get her one of them late '50s-early '60s Zenith AM/FM tube sets? My gran had one, it was sensitive enuff to pull in Black Mountain/Asheville, NC here-about 75 miles. Yeah, you can put an external antenna on 'em, & I think they made about 3 jillion of 'em in all different varieties. Get one for 25 bux, have the caps replaced for another 25 or so, & you're all set. Plus, you/she'll have something that's going up in value-OK you won't be able to retire off it, but at least it won't be valueless in a few years. Like I said, just a thought. Prolly a bad one, but that's just me...<grin>-Sandy G.

Yamaha B-2 11-15-2004 08:02 PM

Needs to be completely hassle-free for my 83 year-old mother. Having a tube or cap pop or not work, etc., would not be to her liking. Think modern, small SS is the way to go for her.

Celt 11-15-2004 08:17 PM

Go with the Tivoli then. It's very easy to use. I had to tweak my GE out to get the alignment just right, but what do you expect out of a $40 radio? The CC Radio has good sensitivity and alot of features, but nothing much in the way of fidelity. I own one of those too and the Tivoli and GE smoke it in sound quality.