Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "Super" Saturday (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=16090)

Unimatic1140 03-20-2004 04:08 PM

"Super" Saturday

1 Attachment(s)
Just got home from the estate sales today and I came upon a bit of a lucky find! In the basement of an old mansion over in St. Paul I found this beautiful "Westcott" CTC5-F Super, for ten whole dollars. It seems to have all of its original parts and the chassis looks undisturbed. I know the super models were RCA's budget line chassis and I have heard that they don't produce as nice picture as the Deluxe chassis. Do you guys think its worth the time and energy to restore this model?

I'm currently working on my first color set, a CTC9. I had static sounding arching noises coming from underneath the rubber flyback tire, I was able to cure this problem by removing the tire and recoating the flyback windings with a layer of HV liquid corona dope and a layer of sensor-safe silicone. Hopefully this fix will last. I have recapped the set and replaced the electrolytics plus I have replaced some out of tolerance resistors which were causing a bad horizontal pull. Now I'm searching for the cause of a 120cycle hum which is making for two minor waves rolling up through the picture and after that I need to do some convergence. Otherwise the set is coming along nicely, considering it started out completely dead.

Steve K 03-20-2004 06:00 PM

Hi:

Personaly I would restore the CTC-5, especially at that price! The picture may not be as good as the deluxe model but if properly restored I'm sure that you would have to put them side by side to see any real difference. If you decide to redo it, keep us posted on your progress.

Steve

Charlie 03-22-2004 11:34 AM

great find... and beautiful!!!!

Sandy G 03-22-2004 03:23 PM

Hey, I'll give ya a whole $20 for it...Double yer money !! Seriously, that is one NICE set- Think it would be a shame if you didn't restore it. -Sandy G.

Cory 03-22-2004 07:07 PM

Looks like you've got your answer ;)

Beautiful set!

Now why can't I ever find these??

Unimatic1140 03-22-2004 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well thanks guys for the info! :) Looks like I'll have to add this to my list of sets to be restored, but its going to have to wait a while as I prefer only to have one project going on at a time. First I want to get my CTC9 done and installed in my "Hall of Television". After that I plan on working on my '53 blonde Spartan, that supposedly had never been sold. The tube tests brand new and is super bright, so that should be a fun set to watch b&w vintage television shows on. But I'll post more about that in the B&W forum when I start working on it.

jasonlava 03-23-2004 07:03 AM

AHA!

I figured I'd find you here Uni. From washers to TVs, eh?:p:

And just like washers, old TVs are VERY rare around here in New Orleans.

For those that don't know. I also collect washing machines... or try to at least :D

Unimatic1140 03-23-2004 12:14 PM

Hi Jason, old TV's and washers are rare everywhere! Its the challenge of finding them and then the bigger challenge of restoring them that makes this hobby so much fun. There's nothing like watching the Flintstones on a 1959 round screen color television. The colors seem more vivid, there is great pride in knowing that you personally put all the effort into restoring the set and its also a lot of fun knowing that no one else on the block (or probably the entire city for that matter) is watching a roundie!

Kamakiri 03-23-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jasonlava
AHA!

I figured I'd find you here Uni. From washers to TVs, eh?:p:

And just like washers, old TVs are VERY rare around here in New Orleans.

For those that don't know. I also collect washing machines... or try to at least :D

So I have to ask.....are there many people around that collect them? Where the hell do you find the space? :eek:

Chad Hauris 03-23-2004 12:53 PM

My grandparents who are in their 70's still use their 1950's Maytag wringer washer. I was always fascinated by the process of wringing the clothes out into the washtubs and pumping the wash water out of the machine when I was a kid.
They had an RCA CTC-31 up till around 1995 or so when they bought a new Zenith console. Also they were using their 50's Frigidaire up till that time when they got a new one cause they wanted more space in the fridge...they gave the old one away still working.

jasonlava 03-23-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kamakiri
So I have to ask.....are there many people around that collect them? Where the hell do you find the space? :eek:
I wouldn't think Washer collecting is as widespread as TV collecting but there are a bunch of us out there. I personally have only 2 machines (a modern Kenmore washer and a 1977 portable Kenmore washer) but there are people (Uni) that has a basement full of them:)

I would say my TV is pretty small too: a modern Sanyo TV and the 59 Zenith.

Considering I live in a mobile home, that's doing pretty good as far as collecting big stuff like that.

I also have some cool 70s hi-fi: A 75(I think) Sony reciever, 78 Dual 604 TT, 198? Sony LInear turtable (that I'm about to smash it to bits if it doesn't stop skipping), a Zenith tabletop stereo and an Akai reel/8 track machine.

Unimatic1140 03-23-2004 01:30 PM

Lets see at this very moment in time I have in our house:

7 B/W '47-'53 Vintage Telelvisions (5 Consoles, 2 table models)
1 1951 Zenith 19" Giant Circle / Radio Phono Huge Combo Monster
4 Vintage Color Sets (1 late 60's portable, 3 1950's consoles)
4 Vintage Dishwashers
1 Vintage 40" GE Range
28 Vintage Automatic Washers (20 are hooked up, ready to run)
2 Vintage Washer/Dryer Combo's (both hooked up)
7 Vintage Dryers (3 Hooked Up)

AND

1 Very Understanding Spouse!

Not that its any shock but I would love to have a vintage car too, but I think that's going to have to wait. :rolleyes:

jasonlava 03-23-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chad Hauris
My grandparents who are in their 70's still use their 1950's Maytag wringer washer. I was always fascinated by the process of wringing the clothes out into the washtubs and pumping the wash water out of the machine when I was a kid.
They had an RCA CTC-31 up till around 1995 or so when they bought a new Zenith console. Also they were using their 50's Frigidaire up till that time when they got a new one cause they wanted more space in the fridge...they gave the old one away still working.

But that is such dreadful housework! The "modern" housewife can now have carefree washdays with a new automatic washer. Just load the clothes in and the washer does the rest. It washes, rinses, and spins the clothes clean.:eek:

Actually, wringers are fascinating as well and I'd love to find one.

Charlie 03-23-2004 01:34 PM

All of those washers and dryers!?! Man! And i thought we were nuts for collecting all of these televisions! :eek:

jasonlava 03-23-2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unimatic1140
Lets see at this very moment in time I have in our house:

7 B/W '47-'53 Vintage Telelvisions (5 Consoles, 2 table models)
1 1951 Zenith 19" Giant Circle / Radio Phono Huge Combo Monster
4 Vintage Color Sets (1 late 60's portable, 3 1950's consoles)
4 Vintage Dishwashers
1 Vintage 40" GE Range
28 Vintage Automatic Washers (20 are hooked up, ready to run)
2 Vintage Washer/Dryer Combo's (both hooked up)
7 Vintage Dryers (3 Hooked Up)

AND

1 Very Understanding Spouse!

Not that its any shock but I would love to have a vintage car too, but I think that's going to have to wait. :rolleyes:

Well, I have NO spouse to tell me what to do so :p: . I had a vintage car. 1964 VW Bug. I sold it (stupid). And yes, I want another Bug, or 2 or 3 or 10 :D