Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   1969 Magnavox remote color set (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271017)

TUD1 10-26-2018 11:04 AM

1969 Magnavox remote color set

5 Attachment(s)
I collected this set last week from an estate sale in Farmington Hills, MI for only $40. It has some issues, a dim picture despite the CRT testing brand new, very poor convergence, probably caused by that rectifier block on the convergence board. The remote does work, but it takes a special 9V battery that costs $22, so I just clip leaded a regular 9V to the terminals.

DaveWM 10-26-2018 11:20 AM

try a new video out tube, weaker they get the darker the pic becomes. Or just check the CRT pin voltages, esp the cathode and G1

dieseljeep 10-26-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD1 (Post 3205164)
I collected this set last week from an estate sale in Farmington Hills, MI for only $40. It has some issues, a dim picture despite the CRT testing brand new, very poor convergence, probably caused by that rectifier block on the convergence board. The remote does work, but it takes a special 9V battery that costs $22, so I just clip leaded a regular 9V to the terminals.

I'm not crazy about Magnavoxes and that cabinet! :thumbsdn:
Isn't Farmington Hills, MI where all the wealthy people are? Anyway to-each-his-own!
That 9 volt battery was never cheap, but $22.00. You should be able to make up your own with Dollar store coin cells. :scratch2:

old_tv_nut 10-26-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWM (Post 3205165)
try a new video out tube, weaker they get the darker the pic becomes. Or just check the CRT pin voltages, esp the cathode and G1

Yes, the video output gain at max contrast is limited by the video output tube gain, so you will even see differences between "good" video output tubes.

davet753 10-26-2018 05:54 PM

Looks like it's in good condition, please post some pics when finished.

old_coot88 10-26-2018 07:53 PM

Did you clean the service switch and work it thru a few cycles?

walterbeers 10-26-2018 08:03 PM

If I remember right it's full of 6GH8s. One of the causes in those early Magnavox models, was a 6GH8 that is used as a blanker. Sets near the video output tube. When that tube gets weak the picture gets dark and poor contrast.

zeno 10-27-2018 02:27 PM

Lets not turn this into another bash French provincial thread !
In the right house they look stunning. In the wrong house they
make you wanna puke !

Walter has a great point on the blanker tube. Its probably the most
disrespected tube in a set. I have found more bad ones than
video outs often causing subtle vid problems. Many seem to
just pretend it isnt there.......

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

KentTeffeteller 11-08-2018 11:45 AM

Seconded. Shop I worked at in Oak Ridge, as a junior technician. First thing with Magnavox color sets with a weak picture was replace the 6GH8 Blanker if used. Usually an overlooked failure item. See more of these bad than video outs myself.

zeno 11-08-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller (Post 3205566)
Seconded. Shop I worked at in Oak Ridge, as a junior technician. First thing with Magnavox color sets with a weak picture was replace the 6GH8 Blanker if used. Usually an overlooked failure item. See more of these bad than video outs myself.

And I second your second ! ( is that allowed ? )
I changed damn few video outs. First video amps & blankers went far more
often. Admirals with a 6EW6 1st Vid could be changed every year & make a huge difference in detail in a pix.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Jon A. 11-08-2018 04:43 PM

Looks like the manufacturer went for actual sliding doors on this unit. I'd be surprised if the look was faked.

Electronic M 11-08-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3205577)
Looks like the manufacturer went for actual sliding doors on this unit. I'd be surprised if the look was faked.

Maggie did several ones with real doors...There were two things they excelled in during the tube era audio and cabinets.

old_tv_nut 11-08-2018 09:59 PM

Yes, real tambour doors.I had a similar one in which the fabric backing the doors had stretched with age and would bunch up and bind when opening the doors. I didn't take the trouble to fix it before passing it on to someone else. I'm not a cabinet maker. I think it would require cutting all the wood pieces off the fabric and gluing them tightly side-by-side to new fabric.

Jon A. 11-09-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3205589)
Yes, real tambour doors.I had a similar one in which the fabric backing the doors had stretched with age and would bunch up and bind when opening the doors. I didn't take the trouble to fix it before passing it on to someone else. I'm not a cabinet maker. I think it would require cutting all the wood pieces off the fabric and gluing them tightly side-by-side to new fabric.

Ugh, woodworking, not my forte either. I'm almost finished sanding down an old Yield House farmhouse table with drawer that had been curbed. If my mom hadn't wanted it I wouldn't have bothered. The sanding is just to make it presentable; the finish was trashed, looked like it had been outside forever. I had to dismantle the thing completely, and un-warp the top after letting it get rained on with the cross-bracing removed.

KentTeffeteller 12-25-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3205580)
Maggie did several ones with real doors...There were two things they excelled in during the tube era audio and cabinets.

Agreed highly. Audio and Cabinetry were strong Magnavox points, I'd say into 1967-1968, their console Stereos were the best sounding in their field. And Magnavox cabinet work was also top notch (they were made in Greenville, TN, and a top employer in Eastern Tennessee). All Magnavox TV sets were built in Greenville, TN in that era into the middle 1970's. And Magnavox phono cartridges (Electro-Voice, by the way, were made in Newport, TN)