Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The WORST ever (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=23924)

reeferman 09-01-2004 10:47 PM

The WORST ever

Let's have a hall of shame for the worst color sets ever made. In my book the Motorola with the 23EGP22 wins, hands down... unbilievable junk. Nothing else even comes close. Helped me pay a lot of bills, though.

Tony V 09-02-2004 12:23 AM

I would say the late 60's GE color sets. The color reproduction was never good on them. Either the fleshtones were green or purple and no way to really get them right. The grass was always green and sky was always blue but the fleshtones sucked. They always had HV and focus troubles of some sort. Dont forget the high pitch noise they always had comming from the flybacks. I could hear a GE flyback a hundred feet away. They had the capability to make a nice quality set but chose not to. I guess thats why you dont see many of them surviving to now. The one that Dwight just got was the first one i have seen in at least 15 years.
-Tony

rca2000 09-02-2004 12:31 AM

I say Sony's first 26" set-- with the 710ab22 picture tube

They never lasted very long, and you could NOT rejuv them-- they would fade back down right befiore your eyes.(i'm referring to the big sony tube"26", with the DUAL anode coaxial connector, for hv, and convergence)

Chad Hauris 09-02-2004 06:14 AM

Zenith CRT's around 1993! Really bad CRT's. I have a 1969 GE color set...got the chassis working but CRT is shorted!
There is also CTC-177 but I think that once the solder joints are repaired they are OK.

Sandy G 09-02-2004 06:57 AM

No, it has to be that godawful POS Sears set from the early '60s. AS I've said, sometimes the thing would take a dump before the repair guy got out of our driveway good. I don't know who made it, but I think it was made in Japan, & this was before they'd figured out how to make color sets very well.-Sandy G.

rcaman 09-02-2004 09:49 AM

magnavox and zenith projection tv,s looking at a zenith now on my bench.
pure shi##y crap. :puke:

captainmoody 09-02-2004 12:30 PM

My boss at the time absolutely HATED anything Motorola especially their color sets! He passed them on to me to try and repair.
I guess the reason I have so many now is more nostalgia than anything.
I have to say that the GE tube stuff pretty much sucked though with a so-so picture and brittle pc boards after a few years.
Coronado and westinghouse of the era were junk too.

jstout66 09-02-2004 12:30 PM

most tube sets that weren't RCA or Zenith seemed to be pretty crappy. RCA's CTC-38 chassis was crap. It's like they decided to go "on the cheap" at the end of the tubed chassis run.

peverett 09-02-2004 10:27 PM

GE sets from the later 1960s all seem to be pretty poor with cheap CRTs and cheap construction.

I have some Motorola B&W sets from 1965 and before. These seem ok with metal chassis ,etc. They went cheap about 1965 and the later stuff does not seem to be built well.

jstout66 09-05-2004 10:18 AM

Captain Moody, Yes!!! Coronado's were terrible, but don't forget the crap you could get at your local Western Auto! (True Tone)

andy 09-05-2004 01:51 PM

---

Jeffhs 09-27-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chad Hauris
Zenith CRT's around 1993! Really bad CRT's. I have a 1969 GE color set...got the chassis working but CRT is shorted!
There is also CTC-177 but I think that once the solder joints are repaired they are OK.

I have a 1995 Zenith Sentry 2 which still works, and an RCA CTC185 half as old but still works as well (after one repair and the ground points around the tuner having been resoldered). Both sets have their original CRTs; the Zenith has never been serviced, and was used quite a bit from 1995-99.

Jeffhs 09-27-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jstout66
Captain Moody, Yes!!! Coronado's were terrible, but don't forget the crap you could get at your local Western Auto! (True Tone)
I wouldn't say all Truetone/Western Auto television sets were junk. I have an aunt and uncle who had a WA Truetone 21" console in the '50s; the set lasted through that decade and into the next one, then they got a Sylvania console and gave the old Truetone to me. I had the TT set from about 1970 until 1972; it worked well for me after changing a tube or two.

gonzothegreat 09-27-2004 03:50 PM

I know this is supposed to be more of a vintage thread but I gotta vent my spleen.

Zenith CRTs from the early 90s were absolute POS. I've seen more wonky guns on Zeniths than any other brand. That might just be me. OTOH I have a 32" Zenith from about that time frame in my room. Horrible color but for some reason I can mentally tune it out.

How about any recent JVC 32" sets? I just tossed one out last week that had a PCB that was paper thin and negligible framework around it. Both 32" JVCs that have come my way had fatal PCB cracks that killed 'em. Spent way too much time trying to salvage one only to realize it wasn't worth saving.

asynchronousman 09-28-2004 06:11 AM

They still haven't learned...

I bought this terrible Korean? set, a 19" Sampo...it was a rebuilt and cheep (guess why?), bled like a hemophiliac and eventually died of a dangerous HV arcing problem that forced it's retirement.

Oddly enough, I saw a $600 HDTV set doing the same bleeding in digital mode. White all over the place.

Wal-Mart wants almost 3500 bucks for a Sanyo 42" HDTV monitor...that's a used car price and NO TUNER! It's a great set but Hell, no tuner??? PAH!