Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Recent Color Addition (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=11608)

ChuckA 11-18-2003 10:45 PM

Recent Color Addition

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of my newest color acquisition, it's a 1955 Philco TV-123. It's due to be delivered around the first week of December. Don't know if it works, but it is from the original owner and appears to have been kept in the main house all these years.

I've been back working on the 15" Philco prototype set and am now stumped with an AGC problem, not having any documentation or schematic it's been a real nightmare. The picture is washed out, it appears that the IF gain is down completely. There is no AGC control on this set to adjust, I have keying pulses but not enough video to turn on the AGC keying circuit. Maybe when I have the schematic traced and drawn out I can find the problem.

Chuck

Rob 11-18-2003 11:06 PM

ChuckA,

Your vintage color collection is really growing nicely you lucky dog! :)

Cory 11-19-2003 01:21 AM

Chuck, that's a beautiful set! It's amazing how color styling changed in the matter of a few years. Can't be many Philcos around ;)

Sandy G 11-19-2003 07:34 AM

Wow.. That gentleman looks pristine !! Congrats !! Hope the CRT's still good.-Sandy G.

ChuckA 11-19-2003 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping it's good also, at least a 21AX isn't as impossible to find as a 15G.

Here's a shot of the insides, really clean also.

Chuck

Chad Hauris 11-19-2003 10:28 AM

That power transformer is HUGE! The only other place I have seen one like that is in a Dukane tube PA amp. This is a real Philco design, not an RCA clone, right?

Charles Vesser 11-19-2003 10:30 AM

Philco Early Color

That is about the most unusual early color TV I have ever seen. I hope it works. I did not realize Philco made that set. Great find.

Steve D. 11-19-2003 09:50 PM

Chuck,
Another beautiful addition to your Philco color collection. I've only seen one other in Steve McVoy's ETF collection. I'm pretty sure the chassis was Philco designed & built. Any other details as to how you located this set? And did the owner say when it was last in use?

heathkit tv 11-20-2003 12:10 AM

When I first looked at the rear view I thought that you had posted the picture turned 90 degrees to the left....as the chassis is on that side. Upon closer examination the speakers prove otherwise!

How many other sets had such an arrangement?

Anthony

wiseguy 11-20-2003 07:47 AM

thats funny,i was also turning my head sideways to look at it..:)
terr

Chad Hauris 11-20-2003 09:30 AM

I think the RCA color sets from CTC-4 through CTC-10? used the sideways chassis.

Steve D. 11-20-2003 11:25 AM

Chaud,
Good call. With the exception of the RCA CTC-5 models most all RCA 50's color sets had the chassis mounted vertically. This also holds true, with some exceptions, for most other manufacturers color sets.

ChuckA 11-20-2003 01:50 PM

If you look you can see the chassis is actually mounted to a board that slides into the cabinet, I think the CBS RX90 sets had the same arrangement.

I don't have to much info yet on how long the set was in use, after it arrives I'll contact him again for the particulars. I was hoping there was some original paper with it, but no such luck.

The speaker grille layout is interesting, I finally found some info on it on Tom Genova's site (http://www.tvhistory.tv/1955-Philco-Brochure1.jpg).

Philco called it "Phonorama Acoustic Lens System"
Looks like it was used on their high end sets for a couple of years.

Chuck

bgadow 11-20-2003 02:01 PM

My CTC-11 has a vertical chassis; CTC-5 is horizontal.

I have a soft spot for Philco-this is a wonderful set, great find.

ChuckA 11-24-2003 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Philco was delivered yesterday by Eric's Shipping. It is in excellent condition with only a few light scratches in the finish. The picture tube checks like new, it's Philco branded. It appears the set was used for a while as most of the tubes are non Philco, I'll have to check date codes to see when the last ones were changed out.

Set has UHF tuner installed with a projection style dial, channels show in the small window at the top of the vertical trim covering the controls, it is black until the tuner is switched to UHF position.

I tried bringing it up on a variac, but got nothing except filaments. I did look under the chassis and it is full of black beauties mostly split and leaking. I'll try to get to this project after the 15" Philco is running.

Chuck