View Full Version : Trying to make rounds things square in the 60s.. Not just TVs

Carmine
02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Without getting into a long story, let's just say I recently got one of the most kickass assignments of my career... Said assignment gives me full access to everything in the Chrysler Historical archives.

This includes photographs of styling proposals that never quite made it. I have to control my enthusiasm, rather like when somebody gives you a bag of Hershey's Dark Kisses... I could easily down the whole bag at once.

Anyways.. Whilst flipping through photographs of 66-67 Dodge Dart styling proposals, I can across this one and instantly thought "Roundie!" Check out dem headlights! There was another even more radical version that almost made them look like an early rectangular set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/66Dart.jpg

I gotta think engineering probably killed this idea early on, as I never saw it again in other later photos. Looking at the date on the slide, I wonder if the stylist just bought a new color set and was inspired?

polaraman
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Carmine,

Could you pull the factory punch card for my 1963 Dodge Polara 500. I would love to have a photocopy of it. :yes: I can email you the VIN number.

polaraman

Carmine
02-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I cannot edit my post by phone for some reason, but i really did not want this to in off topic and become a post about cars, especially since ak has a forum for that. I just thought it was kinda cool that car designers appeared to be influenced by tv sets of the era.

bgadow
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I would think that tv screens had to have been on their minds. That does make for a clean design. I guess the safety nazis would have never let such a headlamp mask go to market.

yagosaga
02-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I would think that tv screens had to have been on their minds. That does make for a clean design. I guess the safety nazis would have never let such a headlamp mask go to market.

Correct. And all round screens were made rectangular.