View Full Version : KTV TV? Worth anything or not?

waltchan
02-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Does this TV worth anything? I found a 1983 KTV 13" TV at the curbside dump. It appears to be in excellent, like new condition and rarely used. It uses a Toshiba Japan picture tube. Picture quality looks really good. Does anyone know anything about KTV brand in general? It's a Korean brand, that's all I know.

rcaman
02-02-2007, 12:58 PM
the ones i worked on back then were made by goldstar. seemed to be a pretty darn good tv they lasted for years and had few problems.

Chad Hauris
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I think KTV was a K-mart house brand.

Nakdoc
02-02-2007, 06:13 PM
KTV is a very rare , good cheap brand. It has nothing to do with K Mart. We can repair them under warranty still!

Bill R
02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Agreed, cheap brand, reasonable quality. I don't remember who made them, but the only place you could get one around here was K-Mart.

Bill R.

andy
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM

zenith2134
02-03-2007, 09:50 AM
The only KTV I ever saw was built by MAVA in Seoul, So. Korea. it was a cheap 80s color tv, 13" wih a goldstar CRT and a Samsung chassis. Thats all I know..

bgadow
02-03-2007, 09:30 PM
K Mart sold sets branded "K Mart" and also KMC. I thought KTV was there's, too, but I looked it up in the Sams index and it just says "KTV Inc." I do remember having either a KMC or KTV once, 13" color I think, decent built Korean set. As I recall the label on the crt said K Mart, which struck me as funny. "Who do they think they're foolin!" as if they had their own factory making picture tubes...

andy
02-03-2007, 09:51 PM

jedo1507r
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I've seen many KTV-branded, as well as Samsung, GoldStar, even Daewoos branded as Portlands last a while - longer than some of their similarly priced peers. Most of them I've seen had good picture and even some that I had seen that had been dropped (by a short distance, but had cracks on bezel) still working correctly.

About sets with rebranded CRTs, I had a 1985 20" FST Multisystem Sanyo with "Digi-Touch" (forgot model number) that used a Toshiba FST tube, with a small Sanyo label over the blank-branded CRT label. Oh, and the set's cabinet was a one-size-fits-all models, with holes for inputs, metal plate covering the right speaker, and a blank panel that covers the front AV inputs. Acquired it in '03, sold it in '03. Hated viewing that set.

Carmine
02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I can even remeber seeing B&W KTV sets at Kresge (dime-store version of K-mart).

Celt
02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Friend of mine has used a Daewoo 13" color TV daily for 20 years with only one service call for a fuse and thermistor.

waltchan
02-04-2007, 10:33 PM
This TV appears to be assembled by KTV in South Korea. Many of the parts are made by Toshiba in Japan. The specification sticker says "manufactured by KEC, Korea Electronics." I don't see the word K-Mart anywhere. There is a FCC-ID code beginning with the letters BRF. I looked it up at fcc.gov, and it says KTV Global Corporation.

I tested it, and I must say that the contrast is super bright and is a lot better than any new CRT TVs made today. Speakers sound just as good as my 25" mono TV. This is a 14", model 14CNR30 (unfortunately, very limited info at Google). Appears to be KTV's first TV ever made.

I found the owner who used to own the TV. It was an old lady who threw it out because she said she was tired keeping this same TV in her living room for 24 years and never see it broke once yet (that's pretty sad). Who knows if it can go for another 20 years trouble-free. Based on the picture quality on the tube, it still looks and works like a new TV (not a joke).

This TV is very simple-designed with few moving parts. Lots of huge capacitors. I found Sanyo, Hitachi, and Toshiba parts on the chassis. There are no Korean parts in there. 50% of the parts are made by Toshiba. Toshiba parts in a TV tend to last forever.

I really don't have any use for it and would like to give it away. PM me if you want to come to my place and pick it up. I am located at Riverside, CA. It's free. You will be impressed with the look and condition when you see it. Based on its exterior design, it looks like a copycat of a late 70s Sony Trinitron TV. And it's very light (only less than 20 pounds for an old 14" TV).