View Full Version : Help with Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000-1

YamahaFreak
01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
My boss gave me this really cool Zenith; the hitch is that I can't get it to really pick up any stations on any bands. There are some local stations that are really strong on other radios, but on the Zenith, they barely come in at all.:sigh: Also, the front of the radio says All-Transistor, but there is a slight warm-up period, so I think there may be a tube in there somewhere. Any help is appreciated.
P.S.- I'll post some pics later. I'm currently posting from my Nintendo Wii, which I can't upload pics from.:D

YamahaFreak
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
bump:D

Phil Nelson
02-01-2007, 05:38 PM
There are no tubes in a TransOceanic 3000-1.

The first thing that I'd try is cleaning the bandswitch (and other controls). If the contacts on the bandswitch are dirty and/or corroded, they can weaken or completely prevent reception. A common problem on all older multi-band radios.

With the chassis out of the cabinet -- careful, it's a tight squeeze -- you want to spritz a bit of good electronic cleaner such as DeOxit onto the bandswitch contacts, then run the switch back and forth through all of its positions several times.

Same treatment for the volume control. If it's full of crud, it can make scratchy noises or just make the radio quiet. There's usually a little opening in the volume control case right where the wires connect to it. Spritz a little bit of cleaner into that opening, then work the volume control all the way back and forth several times.

Let the cleaner evaporate before trying the radio again.

Don't slop cleaner all over the place, and especially avoid spraying it onto the dial markings.

You can get DeOxit at http://www.tubesandmore.com/ and other suppliers.

I would also carefully clean all of the connecting points in the battery case, as well as the pins on the little plug that plugs into the radio chassis. If your radio doesn't receive enough power, it can't work right. For this, you can use very fine sandpaper. Don't use steel wool -- you really don't want fine metal hairs flying around inside your radio.

Oh -- and if you're using an AC adapter, use DeOxit to clean the plug and the jack. Spritz a little bit of cleaner into the jack, then plug and unplug the adapter a bunch of times.

Again, don't firehose the entire chassis with cleaner. Wipe up any excess with a paper towel and let all the cleaner evaporate before trying the radio again.

These are just the most basic first steps. There might be something else wrong with your radio, but it's pointless to try diagnosing that until you know that it's not simply suffering from a case of cruddy contacts.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Phil Nelson
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
P.S. No need to post photos. People can see pics of my 3000-1 at http://antiqueradio.org/zen25.htm .

Also, you can download a free service manual for your radio at http://www.transoceanic.nostalgiaair.org/ .

Have fun,

Phil

YamahaFreak
02-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I consulted my boss(we work at Vacuum Tubes, Inc.)and he says it has a bad filter capacitor. I didn't really have time to take apart the radio and remove the chassis to clean, and I was a little afraid to do so because of how tightly packed in everything was!:D I haven't the slightest idea where the cap in question would live inside the radio, or what kind to replace it with. Does anyone know what I should look for? Thanks again.

P.S.- I read your article, Phil, and you're definitely right about that chrome-mine is bubbled and peeling off in a decent number of places. Although my handle seems very solid to me.:scratch2:

Radioman56
02-27-2008, 12:51 AM
I also have a Royal 3000 by Zenith however i lost the terminal connection for the yellow speaker wire and need to know where that goes Please Help with a pic it be much appreciated. also i have no recption its not even picking up anything
thanks'
PS tried cleaning tuner and the band switch that did not work well either
from Bill shenette

Radioman56
02-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks Phil just found the page for the royal 3000 have you any idea why? I get no reception even after i have cleaned the tuner and the band switch Thanks

YamahaFreak
03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow, it lives! :D

johnda
04-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I have the 7000. I picked it up years ago at a yard sale for $10 and it's still working. A guy sailed here from France and used it on his boat. I understand that he left and went back but forgot to take the radio. The manual has all these cool notations of stations that he listened to on his way across the Atlantic. It still works except that the on/off switch was replaced by a toggle switch he put in the side of the radio.

sprman55
05-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi check the plug top left inside the back(ant pulg) i found mine was not making good contact.That made LWband dead.Its a black round plug clean it and make sure it fits tight.Angelo : )

YamahaFreak
05-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi check the plug top left inside the back(ant pulg) i found mine was not making good contact.That made LWband dead.Its a black round plug clean it and make sure it fits tight.Angelo : )

Mine actually does have this problem; I will check that connection. Thanks for the heads-up. :yes:

KentTeffeteller
06-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi,

Your Zenith was made 1963-1967. One of the first 2 US FM portable radios made. The -1 suffix indicates AC adapter capability. The first Royal 3000 radios didn't have an AC jack. Don't use the handle as the plastic weakened with age. It breaks easily! Point-to-point handwired and beautifully built in Chicago. The repair tips earlier posters gave you all apply. For manuals and schematics go to www.nostalgiaair.org! :tresbon: Cost around $300 new then.

YamahaFreak
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi,

Your Zenith was made 1963-1967. One of the first 2 US FM portable radios made. The -1 suffix indicates AC adapter capability. The first Royal 3000 radios didn't have an AC jack. Don't use the handle as the plastic weakened with age. It breaks easily! Point-to-point handwired and beautifully built in Chicago. The repair tips earlier posters gave you all apply. For manuals and schematics go to www.nostalgiaair.org! :tresbon: Cost around $300 new then.

Thank you very much for the info! I had no idea it was one of the first. :yes:

Brian
06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
While you have the chassis out, as it is a pain just change out all the caps. These commonly need changing and if you do not there is a chance the output transistors will let go and these are a problem as they are matched pairs. I have a 3000-1 that worked for some time and then let go. Really nice unit and hope I'll get it going again.