View Full Version : Panasonic Battery op portable

Eric H
09-25-2003, 12:57 AM
I've had this set for a few years now.
Think it has any collectable status?

It has a large Lead/Acid battery in the bottom (dead) and it almost works, needs some capacitors I think.

Vintage 1967ish?

Eric H
09-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Here's the TV

Rob
09-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Eric,

I'm not knocking this TV of yours, just giving you an honest answer to your question. I personally don't think there is anything collectible about it except its small size (which facilitates collecting it). It wasn't the first battery operated color TV was it? It was introduced at a time when the marketplace already was almost saturated with color TV's of all types.

Howerver, just because "I" wouldn't consider it collectible, there are many who would because there are people out there that will collect anything!

My criteria for collectibility revolve around the item being somewhat hard to come by to downright rare or even unique, representing the general,state of the art from a time now past, and if the item is still commonplace in a more modern form (TV's are a good example) then the collectible one should represent an early model, or better yet a 'first' in the evolution of the product. Additionally it helps if I think the item is 'cool'. :)

Eric H
09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Rob, it's not even color, just glorius old B&W.
It must be rare, I've never seen another one like it :D

kc8adu
09-26-2003, 10:23 AM
all ss sets of that vintage will have many dried out lytics.
cheap and easy to fix but time consuming.
that set is not common.
the battery is likely totally sulphated and you may get lucky and find a sla for a ups to sub.