View Full Version : Yet another Magnavox Q....Phantom remote?

ha1156w
01-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I have two remotes that came with my 1968 Magnavox color console. One remote does only the channel, the other does only the volume, regardless of which button on the remote is pressed. With two buttons per remote, I figured that there had to be something wrong with both, each having "lost" a button. When I took it apart, I was suprised to see that there is a common bellow, activated by the two buttons mounted on a *single* metal plate. I can't figure out what the differentiation between the two buttons would be. Both of the "whistles" are present, with their proper tuning adjustment, but how does each button provide a separate function when mechanically they are connected to exactly the same parts? Am I missing a piece to mask one of the whistles depending on which button is pressed? I'm stumped! Can anyone provide an "exploded" view of the remote?

Thanks!

Randy Bassham
01-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The way it's supposed to work is that if a button is pushed and it doesn't matter which one it will compress the bellows creating the air pressure. The specific button being pushed will push it's valve first thereby releasing the air through its whistle. If you have a valve sticking and you push down hard enough it will release through the other side.