View Full Version : Any hints on what can I do with this set?

Captain Video
01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone. I've got a hybrid Philips TV set for free. It was given to me by a very nice guy who is in the TV repair business since the 1960's. The TV was sitting in very dirty storage compartment below his house. I didn't went to the compartment, but I got the impression that the place was not at all free of humidity and other dangers. The back cover of the TV was even loose, the pieces that connect the back to the TV are broken, but I managed to put the back attached to the set. Anyway, I did something very, very silly, I plugged the TV at home. After sometime needed to warm up, the screen lit and I got snow on half the screen. I was unable to get any type of picture, but I was able to tune at least one channel, using only the TV own antenna, and the sound was very good, very strong - and I live in a place where almost everybody has cable or sattelite dish, because over the air reception is terrible, it is located 36 kilometers from the TV transmitters with many hills blocking the signals. I finally had to turn off the TV, because smoking started to come from behind the set. I took a picture of the TV in operation, it's not the best of pictures, but I think you can see the snow covering half of the screen. What do you think? Should it be worth spending some money to get it fully operational again? What kind of problems might be the cause of the smoke and the picture not appearing?