View Full Version : GE portacolor at antique mall

wiseguy
01-14-2007, 06:10 AM
I was at an antique mall yesterday and one of those old tube portacolor sets was for sale,it the one that has a clock/timer in front,it was all tube,i didnt get the model number,but i did plug it in there and it worked..are these considered collectable? should i have bought it..($18.00)
just curious..
thanks
terry

Sandy G
01-14-2007, 07:36 AM
For <$20, I'd a-grabbed it.

jpdylon
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes the portacolors with the clock timers in them are quite rare. The picture may not be great out of the box, but I would guess you could install some DC restoration circuits in it to give it some decent picture.

I'd go back and get it.

Whirled One
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I think GE Portacolors are a bit too far on the high-supply/low-demand side of things to really be "collectible" in market value terms, but the clock-timer models are rather uncommon (but don't be surprised if the clock control knobs are broken/cracked/missing). So, I'd go for it if you like the set!

Besides, they're fun little TVs (in my opinion), and are distinctive in their own way.

wiseguy
01-16-2007, 05:32 AM
the set was in nice shape,no broken or cracked knobs,just the tip of one of the antennas (static ball) was off..
I really don't want it,but i can pick it up for someone here and ship..it was not really heavy..
terry

jshorva65
03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I've heard that there are a few PortaColor collectors around. There was a web site some time ago that featured some interesting history of the set and photos of various versions. It was said to have had the longest production run of any set design in terms of model years. Mid 1960s was the first production year as I reember and late 1970s the last. There was mention of the RCA 630TS as another long-running design in production, although I seem to remember reading that the 630TS itself was only produced for about 3 years, although its 30-tube chassis was used in many other models with updates including larger picture tubes well into the 1950s. I've serviced a few of the PortaColor sets during my years as a tech servicing daily-viewing sets. I found the inline gun structure to be interesting and a little ahead of its time for circa 1966 when the PortaColor was said to have been introduced.

Eric H
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
The Porta-Color Site is still around:
http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

I was given a very early example a few weeks ago, it still works somewhat after sitting 20 years in an attic!

yagosaga
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I am just selling one of my Portacolors on the German bay, 250089404653. I am curious what it will bring here.

Eckhard