View Full Version : 1949 RCA Model 641 TV/Radio/Phono

moonman
01-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I looked at one of these, along with some other non-TV items, at a guy's house yesterday. I'm not interested in the 641, but it is a large and beautiful piece. He wants me to buy it as a package with the other items. Any idea what this might bring on eBay? It's in excellent cosmetic and working condition, but it's quite a monster.

jpdylon
01-13-2007, 11:56 AM
welcome moonman!

Being as big as it is, you aren't going to have a huge audience. This is mainly because of the cost to have it shipped to a buyer. this can run anywhere fro 200-500 dollars depending on dimensions and weight.

However, if you can find a buyer who is willing to pick it up in your neck of the woods, then you could make a little money. Supposing the cabinet is in beautiful condition, the CRT is good, and the chassis has the potential to be brought back to life, you could probably fetch a few hundred dollars, perhaps more if you find more than one person who wants it to start a bidding war.

It would be a great restoration piece considering its already said to be working. IMO, this hobby is more about preservation and restoration than making money. I'm sure someone else here would want to grab it and bring it back to full glory. :yes:

where was the set located?

bgadow
01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I got mine from an ebay seller who couldn't find a bid for it. (I think the starting bid was $60) But then mine is in rather shabby condition. I swapped some stuff for it. I would think that one in good shape and working might, as Jordan said, bring a few hundred dollars IN THE RIGHT LOCATION. Might also struggle to break fifty bucks. Kind of a crapshoot. As you mentioned, it's a monster. More attractive in person, I think, than in pictures.

moonman
01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The set is in Southern Connecticut. If anyone is interested, and could pick it up, let me know. I can try to work something out, moneywise. I need to get money for it, since the guy is making me buy it with two other pieces (Victrolas).