View Full Version : Saw some strange old sets today

radiolee
09-12-2003, 09:44 PM
This lady and her husband used to be an RCA dealer. She had two pairs of sets in her basement that I've never seen.

Two of them looked like coffee tables on steroids. The screen folds downward into the cabinet.

The other two were designed to fit into corners. They were five sided. Blonde wood.

If anybody knows what sets these were from this sketchy description and has any interest in them, she's ready to give them away. They're in Mason City, Iowa.

Lee

Eric H
09-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Lee, those are quite sought after, particularly the Coffee Table model!

Wish I could get them but alas, I'm too far away.

Eric

Cory
09-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh Yeah! I'm all over this one! Finally, some sets close to home and just what I've been searching for :D Let's hope they're still available...

Cory

Cory
09-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks to Lee's generous tip, I came home today with some early bday presents. Apparently the couple quit selling TVs in '68 and she had gathered these sets as trade-ins back in the day figuring they'd be good to convert into corner curio shelves and toy chests! :eek:

I'm pretty sure they'll all clean up pretty nicely, just some loose trim and a couple missing rear knobs. The one Hillsborough had a brightener on it that came to rest on the 5U4 literally burning away half of its cardboard case sometime in its past. Good filament, no HV. The other showed good brightness and signs of life. Everything'll need to be recapped I'm sure. And those lovely RCA PCBs :uzi:

The 'Super' corner model also has a brightener on it and seleniums, while the 'Deluxe' (better cabinet, channel indicator above the screen, couple additional speakers) has a 5U4 and power xformer. It makes me real curious whether or not it was part of the upgrade, or simply an older set.

After I got her 8-track player going she was more than happy to toss in a neat New Orthophonic record changer in a table size cabinet and a mid-60s RCA color console that she didn't know how to get rid of. The icing on the cake was an RCA under-dash quadraphonic 8-track player she had for sale. Just what I was looking for :p:

More pictures at http://www.eldocountry.com/rca.html

Thanks for letting me share guys- Lee, I have my eyes peeled for audio gear!

PS, Anyone have the Sams for these guys? They deserve to be restored to their former glory.

Charlie
09-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Wow...

those RCA's are great! i think i have the Sams for the fold down sets. i will check when i get home tuesday. pass along the model or chassis numbers of the other two sets and i will look for those as well.

Eric H
09-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Wow Cory, those are cool! Especially the fold down models.
BTW, those are called the "Hillsborough"
There is a promotional film about them posted on the Prelinger Archives:

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08447

Don't know if this link will work but give it a try, otherwise go here: http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php
and search for RCA

Eric

veg-o-matic
09-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Dannnnnnnnnngggg! What a find. Betcha there's a bunch of AK folks drowning in their own drool. I know I am!

Looks like you could open up your own vintage RCA showroom!

Congrats on the finds. Something like this should happen to all of us.

jstout66
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
I might have the sams, but need the RCA chassis numbers on each (KCS???) I have an old RCA book that covers the early black and whites and also includes color TV's up to CTC-9. I could photo copy for you.

Cory
09-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I went through the RCA docs I had around but couldn't turn anything up on these guys- KCS127K, KCS116C, and KCS107C. Anyone have info on these guys? Working on those early PCBs is trouble enough ;)

jstout66
09-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Cory, all of those chassis are in my book, EXCEPT I don't know how close of a match they will be as the last letters don't match. Example: my KCS116 shows for the KCS 116B It does show a tuner diagram for the KCS116C. My book is the "RCA Television Receivers Service Data" 1955-1961 which covers Black & White chassis KCS 94- KCS 134 and color chassis CTC4-CTC10

Charlie
09-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Cory,

I found the three Sams you will need. PM me with your address and I'll get them out to you.

Charlie

Einar72
03-09-2007, 02:43 PM
My book is the "RCA Television Receivers Service Data" 1955-1961 which covers Black & White chassis KCS 94- KCS 134 and color chassis CTC4-CTC10

Anyone know the RCA publication number for this book? I have the previous ones, all prefixed with an SP-, then four digits. I'm trying to restore my KCS-94 "Breadbox", which I think it is the most stylish of the genre.

John Folsom
03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Those sets are VERY cool! That coffee table set is a heavy beast (I have one). And I really like the corner TV concept. By the way, did anyone make a corner TV back in the B&W round CRT era? How about a color roundie in a corner cabinet?

Steve McVoy
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Ambassador made one in the UK:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/british_ambassador.html

Magnavox made a large one in the US, if I remember correctly.

Celt
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Very cool find! :yes:

wa2ise
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Everything'll need to be recapped I'm sure. And those lovely RCA PCBs :uzi:

I have an RCA Super TV set that has a similar looking chassis, in that the boards are solder mounted to the chassis with the foil side mostly inaccessable. I did a recap, but I just did the expedient of just soldering the new caps onto the leads of the old cap that were snipped with enough length to J hook onto. You can't see the top side of the boards inside the set anyway, as they face inwards to the back of the CRT.

On my set I had a dirty volume control pot, that would sometimes let the wiper contact float. RCA used the pot as the grid resistor on the audio output tube, and it got rather unhappy when the wiper went open circuit. So I connected a 470K resistor to ground to protect the tube. I was able to get at the required foil lands on the circuit board for this.