View Full Version : Mint in Box 1967 Zenith B+W portable TV!

drh4683
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM
I was able to get the '67 zenith on ebay. Unfortunately, I have no history of this set as it was sold by an ebay "seller service" (quikdrop services) in Niles, IL, about 10 miles from where I work. It was a local pick up, thats what made this possible. They could not give out any information as to the original owner who asked them to sell the TV. The TV is most likely from A northwest chicago suburb, like Niles.
Regardless, another new in box zenith was saved. Some of you might remember the 1964 zenith b+w I picked up last year in Chicago, posted in the B+W forum. This one is the plastic cabinet 16". Its really neat to be able to see what a "new" 1960's TV looks like, both inside and out and how they were packaged along with the nice hang on tags. Power cord is still factory wrapped. This one also has all the quality control tags that were folded up and placed between the cabinet and VHF tuning knob, so the owner could see that nothing was missed. The tags only refer to a QC person by their number, not name. Even has the original UHF ring antenna in the unopened zenith bag.
The TV originally was packaged in a rather thick clear bag with styrofoam on the bottom. Im sure there must have been some kind of styrofoam on top, but its not there.

I can only figure a TV like this didn't get used because it was a gift and just never had a place to be used. Or it was stolen and hidden away because of guilt? I have a mint in box zenith clock radio from '64 from a local closed down TV shop. It was still new in box because it had a defective (open) plate load resistor for the 50C5. Thus, it never sold, but for some reason never fixed. Same shop was a mint in box '66 zenith FM only tube table radio. That one worked perfect though. I guess some things just fall through the cracks so to speak and are left untouched and forgotten like this TV here.

And yes of course, it works perfect (typical Zenith). Enjoy the pics.

jpdylon
12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm glad someone here --especially with a TV museum, was able to get this set. I had two of this exact model, one with a brown cover and knobs, one with black. However mine were NEVER anything close to that condition. You could eat off of that chassis its so clean!!!

wa2ise
12-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I have a Zenith set that looks almost identical to that one. But the model number on mine is missing. I haven't been able to get the vertical sync circuit to behave correctly with a proper repair (but I kludged something to get it to lock). Problem looks to be one of those 3 legged disk with cryptic Zenith part numbers stamped on them. Anyone have a diagram of the typical vertical circuit they used in these sets? Or information of what's supposed to be inside the 3 legged disks? TIA

http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/zenithtv.jpg

One difference I see is the location of the volume control knob.