View Full Version : Holiday specials were colorful

oldtvman
12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Back in the day the one thing you could count on if you owned one of those expensive color sets was plenty of Christmas Bob Hope Andy Williams Amahl and the night visitors Bell Telephone hour Dinah Shore Tennesee Ernie Ford.

Scorpion8
12-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Yea, they don't put on family entertainment like they used too. There are very few all around "entertainers" of that caliber anymore.

polaraman
12-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Some of the Bob Hope Christmas shows are on DVD. Some may wonder why Dancing with Stars is such a TV hit. How about some good solid entertainment. I would love to see them bring back a variety TV show.

polaraman

Duffinator
12-25-2006, 09:50 PM
My kids wanted to watch the Disney Parade on TV today as they are now officially brainwashed into all things Disney. What a waste of time. It was like watching a two hour Disney/parks/vacation/cruise etc. commercial. Disney had sunken to a new low. Bring back the old TV specials. :yes:

wa2ise
12-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I remember a show back around 1963 or so, about some of the attractions at the New York Worlds Fair. One was "It's a Small World After All", forgot who sponsered it (Coca Cola?). My brother and I was watching it, and he says "Well, that's one ride we won't need spend time waiting for, we just saw it on TV". Cormmercials desguised as shows are nothing new... We went a bunch of times to the Worlds Fair.

I do remember some mention of Disneyland on the show "Color World of Disney" or some such title. "Come visit Disneyland in the LA area". Back in the early 60's my family never traveled further than to grandma's house 40 mikes away (New York City area), and didn't think Disneyland was an actual place. I also thought New York City was an average sized American city, and later on was suprised that other cities were so small....

old_tv_nut
12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I bought a DVD titled "Hope for the Holidays" on amazon.com. It's great! It's a compilation of highlights of Bob Hope Christmas shows, including his USO appearances, classic sketches with Red SKelton and Lucille Ball, a half dozen versions of "Silver Bells", his introductions of rising football stars, plus bloopers. I highly recommend it.

bozey45
12-31-2006, 02:15 PM
our local PBS affiliate aired the Andy williams Christmas show highlights special showing outtakes from his 1960's series; great stuf and beautiful restoration on those old tapes; can't beat that TK-41 color.

Bill Cahill
12-31-2006, 11:01 PM
That was Disney.

Anybody remember these words fro a favorite show?

"Now, it's time to say goodbye, to all our company. M I C, see you real soon. K E Y, Why? Because we like ya! M O U S E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Happy New year every body... Bill Cahill, and his pal Mike.
:thmbsp: :yes: :thmbsp: