View Full Version : Sunday Comics "Shortcuts" topic is TV history

wa2ise
12-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Not that this "Shortcuts" feature is any doctorial thesis, it's still of some interest. I recognize a Motorola TV near the top center-right, a Panasonic looking flying saucer TV from the 60's, an RCA looking portable down at the lower left, and the table model dead center looks like one I've seen but can't remember who made it, but the others look made up. :scratch2: The Predicta-ish set on the left, for example. And was the floor model under the Motorola an actual set made? It looks like something that would have been made in the late 40's.

Eric H
12-23-2006, 03:40 PM
The Predicta like set is an Telavia (Sic?) There's a Bush Bakelite on the counter along with a Dumont "Doghouse" I think the big curvy floor model is a Dumont also, next to it is a Motorola.

They all seem to be actual models except for the generic looking console in the middle! :banana:

old_tv_nut
12-23-2006, 09:16 PM
They screwed up one thing - Nipkow never actually sent a picture, as far as I know; but if it prompts some kids to look up his name and the others, that's good!

fujifrontier
12-24-2006, 10:55 AM
:shifty:

David Roper
12-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Only the large color set is a generic representation, all the others are very real:

You pegged the two portables sitting on the floor, an RCA 8PT at left and a Panasonic at right...

the other three table sets are (l-r) a Bush from Britain, a Du Mont RA-103 and a Motorola electrostatic, all from ~1949...

As Eric pointed out, the proto-Predicta is a Teleavia--from Italy--but the "curvy floor model" is also a foreign set: a 1949 La Voix de Son Maitre (His Master's Voice) from France. The little Motorola console next to it is pretty easily recognizable.