View Full Version : What's the matter with this set?

Captain Video
12-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Ok, ok, I know, all of you may probably laugh at me but... I was trying to do something that I should not even bother to try. I was trying to receive cable channels in this crude, cheap TV ( below photo ) using a VCR as a tuner. It was the only set that I could really use in that part of the house, the only set with no other user. The silly little thing simply refuses to accept the signals from the VCR. I am almost certain that the VCR is ok. I put a lot of effort trying to make it work, but it was useless. Is there something I can do, or should I give up?

fujifrontier
12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
did you try connecting the RF output to the TVs antenna and then switching to channel 3/4 ? that worked for me on an old rat shack TV we had

jpdylon
12-19-2006, 11:57 PM
make sure there isn't a switch to change from internal antenna to external antenna inputs. This may also have a 1/8" mono plug for the antenna

fujifrontier
12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
but tvs like that dont usually have an inupt switch?

jpdylon
12-20-2006, 12:21 AM
not an input switch, there is usually a switch that allows you to switch from the internal telescoping antenna on the back of the set, to the antenna terminals (or jack) so if you want to connect a VCR or something its possible.

Duane
12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
You did not mention how you are trying to hook up the vcr to the tv.Don't want to assume anything,but do you have the cable feed going to the input
coax on the vcr and the output coax on the vcr going to the coax connector on the tv? If so,make certain that the VCR output channel matches the same channel number on the tv (either 3 or 4).If that doesn't provide a picture,you might want to check that the little tv actually works by connecting it directly to the cable from the wall.It should show something on the lower numbered channels (if it's not cable ready).If the tv gets a picture,test the vcr at another location with a different set.If it fails there,you either have a bad vcr or something is wrong in the setup menu.

Captain Video
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I tried my best to see if the VCR output channel matches the same channel on the TV ( it's not something easy to do, because of the type of tuner this TV has ). It was no good. I connected it directly with the cable, and, well, it did received the lower channels. I will test the VCR with another set. One strange thing is that this TV does have a video input - but no audio input! I tried the video input anyway, and it only showed a very scrambled picture. I coudn't improve it. I need the VCR to do the tuning, because this TV will not receive the higher cable channels alone, and I am using it in a place where I spent most of my time - my computer room. As soon as I test the VCR I will post the results here.

Captain Video
12-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Well. I tested the VCR with a good, "normal" , brand new 20 inch set, in another room. When connected to the TV by means of an A/V connection, I could see the channels I was tuning thru the VCR. However, when the VCR was connected to the TV only by the antenna terminals, there was nothing I could do to make the signal coming from the VCR to be seen on the TV. I believe it's not only the little cheap TV that's not very good; I believe that probably the antenna output of the VCR is damaged. I am almost sending it to a technician. Any thoughts?

andy
12-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Did you try playing a tape?

Duane
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Try hooking up the vcr to another tv via the coax connector (F-Type).This is probably the best way to check it out.
Andy made a good point.Try playing a tape from the vcr thru the coax connection.If you see a picture on the tv,then it's the input coax that may have a loose connection.

larschr
12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Maybe the VCR simply does not transmit itīs "own" signal through the RF? My Sony SLV-X9 doesnīt.

TedJ
12-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Check the vcr for a TV/VCR or TV/Video switch or button (check the remote too). A lot of vcr's have one and default to the off mode which passes the incoming (cable in on vcr) to the output. When you press the button the vcr switches over and passes its tuner to the RF out. VCR's also switch when inserting and playing a tape too so put a tape in and see what happens.

Most likley you will have a TV/VCR switch and pressing it will solve your problem. Turning the unit off or pulling its plug will sometimes reset it to the off position so be prepared (depending on model).

-Ted

Captain Video
12-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I tested the VCR with the little cheap TV again. This time I put a tape on the VCR. I was able to hear only the audio of the tape, then I ejected the tape to hear the cable channels. I thought that there was still something wrong with either the TV or the VCR or both, but finally I was able to receive both audio and pictures of all cable channels. I looked at the tape and I saw that it was dirty ( I haven't watched that tape for a long time ). I will put this tape in a rewinder to clean it. Now I can watch cable on that TV. I thank all you guys for your useful inputs. The tape idea really was the key to solve the problem. One final note, it was an american tape, a copy of the James Bond film "Diamonds are Forever" that I found a few years ago in a store that sells used old books and magazines.