View Full Version : What is the OLDEST movie you have seen with a building Implosion in it??

rca2000
12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I am NOT talking about a general demolition or some kind of bomb in a building on a show--I am talking about an implosion. One that uses expolsives to sequentially disable the structure of a building (used to be mainly for high-rise buildings, but not anymore--implosions get more popular everyday.) to cause it to fall in its own footprint.What is the oldest show you can think of where a building was blown down, be it as part of the plot or otherwise??

The first movie in which I saw a building imploded was "Herbie rides again", from 1974, which I saw at the drive-in as a kid. During the opening credits--a number of buildings are imploded, many in BW footage(which shows that they were probably done way before 1973-74. one that I recognize was the Traymore hotel, which was imploded with some fanfare in 1972). I must say--seeing a building just "fall into a million pieces" like that", really fascinated me as a kid.

nowdays--implosions are in a lot of shows. Seeing one on TV or a movie does NOT do justice compared to "being there" as I have ben-for 3 live building imposions. (riverfront stadium, Rikes in Dayton and Sander Hall).

rulerboyz
12-14-2006, 09:01 PM
The following might be the oldest (okay there's no bombs, but the fact that it is from 1901 should score me some points):

http://www.archive.org/details/star_theatre_1901