View Full Version : good deal on ebay

drh4683
09-03-2003, 08:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190575508&category=3638

His starting bid should be atleast double! Typical 0 feedback seller, they all think they have gold.

jstout66
09-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Doug, I hear ya there. Every time I see a listing like this on eBay I think "Why??" It makes me so po'd! I know we all like tv's on this site, but I am sure we all know when something is overpriced and will walk away. The interesting thing will be to see if anyone actually gets in a bidding war! You know if there is a bidding frenzy it's the seller having someone bid for them..... And don't you love the "deluxe" pictures of the product??!!? LOL

rca2000
09-03-2003, 09:43 PM
I have TWO of those RCA 1956,57 metal tv's. one, cost 15.00, I think. The other, was a garbage find from Lebanon ,ohio( A town I used to live in, and still frequent,30 minuites away from my house.). So, Im think I got a better deal.

Eric H
09-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Oddly enough this guy's NOT a zero feedbacker, he has about 500 positive!
Maybe he misplaced a decimal, $29.95 would be about right for that set. Slightly higher for a red one :D

andy
09-04-2003, 12:31 AM

Eric H
09-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Here's another one, nicer and much more reasonable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190624639&category=3638

Jeffhs
10-29-2003, 01:03 AM
I looked at the RCA on ebay which was going for $299.99 (see my further comments below). I agree; the seller might have misplaced a decimal point. Small portables like that from the '50s aren't worth anywhere near $300 these days, and I seriously doubt if they actually sold for anyplace near that much when they were new. If this were something like an RCA CT-100 or some other rare color set, yes, I could see an opening bid in the hundreds of dollars, but for crying out loud--you can find sets such as that RCA portable mentioned above at thrift shops, garage sales, etc. dirt cheap. Seems to me, if the seller of that set didn't make a mistake on the opening bid, he/she may have been trying to get as much money as possible from the sale, the rules of fair trading be darned. Such people, IMO, don't know much about auctions, online or otherwise. There is a fair price for items being sold at auction; the seller should state it and adhere to it, rather than running his/her opening bid so high as to be ridiculous. I saw a Hallicrafters short-wave receiver on ebay the other night that had an opening bid of $6,000. I have been an amateur radio operator for over 30 years and know that these receivers, while they were top-of-the-line in their day, did not sell for anything even close to that $6k figure when they were new in the '50s. Three or four hundred dollars, yes, but nowhere near $1k, let alone that one's opening bid.

Oh well. This is just another example (IMO) of price gouging, or at least someone just wanting to get as much money from a sale as possible. These people have a lot to learn about fair trading practices.

BTW: The bidding for that RCA portable, the one with the opening bid at one penny under $300, has ended, but the item was relisted. This person must want to unload that set in the worst way, but if he really wants to do that in a hurry, IMO, he should knock off all but $30-40 from that ridiculously high opening bid. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one heck of a bidding war going on for that set, even as I write this.

kc8adu
10-29-2003, 02:15 AM
i have several sets like that including the red /gold trim one.
most came from yard sales and the curb.have a 15" model that one of the store employees found at the dump and brought in.
even at 29.99 the 39.99 shipping kills the deal.

Chad Hauris
10-29-2003, 06:56 AM
The 8" model I have of this set was given to me by a lady who read my story in the paper. In the Midland, TX. paper there is a feature called Person to Person where they give profiles of different people...they decided to do one on me and my TV collection. Have got about 6 TV's and some radios given and sold to me from readers of the article.

Carmine
10-29-2003, 06:09 PM
I was just preparing some stuff for ebay, and I have one of those exact sets (but unlike his, mine does have a picture!).

Mine is red. Anybody wanna make an offer or trade?