View Full Version : Tv on the fritz

shibatetsu
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
My TV keeps having issues as of late. When I'm watching TV the picture wavers and it makes a funny noise, sometimes turning off. I own a mid 90's Zenith. I don't know what other info I can give.

andy
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
A model number would be helpful. Most mid 90's Zenith TVs had defective CRTs and are not worth repairing. Exactly which year it was made in makes a big difference in quality.

shibatetsu
11-29-2006, 05:41 AM
It's a sr2568s and google turned up a lot of links saying that it's "vertical colapse failure". Any ideas?

andy
11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
It's hard to be sure without seeing it, but bad soldering is a possibility. Bad capacitors are also common. Vertical collapse would result in the picture turning into a bright line across the middle of the screen.

As long as the picture is bright and sharp with good color, it's probably not going to be a major repair. If the picture is getting dim, or blurry, or has an odd tint to it, then the CRT is getting weak and it's not worth investing any money into it. Another sign of a bad CRT is if the picture ever flashes bright white, red, green, or blue. If you can solder it's worth looking over the board for bad soldering.

shibatetsu
11-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I can solder but I don't know enough about tvs....maybe a repair place? You think it wold cost alot?