View Full Version : Zenith 12B14C50

polaraman
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I will be working on this set for a winter project. It is a (25VALP22) 25" table model set. The set is also a hybrid with the tubes and transistors. SAMS 1157-2. I am missing pages 35 and 36 of the schematic. Does anybody have it? I am also missing the volume knob. Anybody got one?

polaraman

Adam
11-25-2006, 09:42 PM
1157-2 p.35-36 Here it is. This is with a camera, I can get better pics with a scanner on Monday. I also had to scale them down to post them.

drh4683
11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Nice TV. Im glad someone else has sets like this around still. These are more rare than a roundie. Look forward to seeing the progress of it. 12B14C50 is a 1971 chassis model.

polaraman
11-25-2006, 10:58 PM
DRH4683,

I found this buried in the TV shop at my last assignment. I remembered tossing the back in the dumpster before finding the TV. I had to dig through the dumpster to find the back. :no: I got them both. It will be a nice Tv when finished. It is a shame that tube rectangular sets are not more adored. They will be just as rare as the roundies in a few years. I liked the set because it was not a large console.

Adam, Thanks for the missing pages. The camera was pretty good. It is hard to read the smaller numbers. A would greatly appreciate the scan.

I have to find a better system than metal skids for the bottom. I'm going to have to put it on top of another television for display. Probabally my 12A12c52 will hold it. Will have to search for some large rubber feet.

I plugged it in and got sound and no HV. Good start?

polaraman

Chad Hauris
11-25-2006, 11:24 PM
That's interesting to find a 25V" Zenith set that uses the more-tube chassis...it seems like most 25V" that use tubes are the 4-tube models. Have seen these in a brochure but not an actual example. This must be pre-Chromacolor as the Chromacolor tubes don't seem to get that green halo effect.
What is that arrangement with the 2 HV leads? I have only seen this on the Zeniths that use the tripler, it looks like this one still uses the tube HV rectfiier.

3Guncolor
11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Zenith made a lot of those. It is a Chromacolor I. The other HV lead feeds a focus bleeder. Zenith's early 25V had the green halo problem. I have the same model set it is a high hour set that even left outside in the rain for a winter many years ago. The CRT was changed in 1978 to a 25VCMP22 so it's still strong. Here is a picture of it in operation. I worked on a lot of those when I was a teenager so I had to save one. Someday I would like to find the remote version.

Tim
11-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Polaraman:

From what I can see in the photos, I think I may have a volume knob I can send you. Can you post a close-up photo of the front and rear of one of the adjacent knobs?

Adam
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Scans. I can e-mail much larger files if you need them.

polaraman
12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Adam,

Many thanks!:banana: I am also missing the last pages of the schematic. I have the first two pages but I am missing the last one or two. It is usually the HV section and the end with the CRT. Can I get those also?

Rich

Adam
12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Here's a scan of the schematic, I didn't want to cut anything out you might be missing, so I scanned the whole thing. But I needed to reduce it so much to post it, it isn't very useful. Even cut in half it still isn't readable. Do you have an e-mail I could send this to, the original scan is a large file 3.6MB.

Bobby Brady
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I will be working on this set for a winter project. It is a (25VALP22) 25" table model set. The set is also a hybrid with the tubes and transistors. SAMS 1157-2. I am missing pages 35 and 36 of the schematic. Does anybody have it? I am also missing the volume knob. Anybody got one?

polaraman
That's a beauty!

Would that have been what I have heard described as a "leader" model?
I have heard that a "leader" was a cheap version with low price to get customers in the door or one that is only offered at discount stores like K-mart or Sears.
I heard that the better models were sold only through actual dealers.

Chad Hauris
12-08-2006, 10:45 PM
No, the "loss leader" would have been the 23" version. The 25" was a more expensive model.

polaraman
02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I scored a nice rotating TV stand today at the thrift around the corner. It only cost a couple of bucks. If I had slid the Tv in the slot provided, it would be a perfect fit. I decided to put some rubber feet on the bottom of the TV to prevent from damaging the TV stand. The bottom of the Zenith has two metal strips that would gouge the TV stand. The wood on the top of the TV stand is particle board. Don't need to start damaging that. It will fall apart in an instant if got wet.

I also fished the back out of my shop. I need to align the chassis in the cabinet to make it fit properly. I am planning on pulling the chassis soon, and I will do that later.

Some progress?

polaraman