View Full Version : What year/model is this Philco Miss?

ytbufflo
11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I need to identify the right model year and schematic/Sam's for a Philco Miss America TV set. There is a number rubber-stamped inside the console that reads 51-0032-1.

I have contacted a few Sam's and schematic sources, but no one can find a match for the 51-0032-1 code.

I have a good bit of experience with tube electronics, but not TV's. Any tips are welcome. The power supply is tube rectified with a 5U4, which makes me think it's very old, but i don't know. It is the model with the channel selector recessed into the top of the cabinet. You push down on the dial and it pops up and lights up. Hope that narrows it down some.

It also has the 5 speaker "Wrap Around Sound" system.

Also, there is a small beige sticker on the chassis that reads: AD 77791

I sure could use some help with this. I've been asking all over the Web and so far, no luck.

Thanks!

Lee

jpdylon
11-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey Lee

I have a miss america set. Mine dates from 1962, but I'm sure there are were other years made. Mine has the recessed channel selector as well. Do you have the corner cabinet style? (triangular)

How do you know the fly is toast? do you have shorted or open windings? Mine had a problem with a shrinking picture, which turned out to be defective input filters. At first I thought it was fly related, but you never know

What symptoms is the set having? does it come up at all, is it blowing fuses, is the HO tube hot plating?

I'll be happy to help out with what I can, just give me an idea where you're at with the set's troubles. There is a member here, Don Lindsly, who used to work for Philco, and would probably know a cross reference for your flyback if that is indeed what you need.

and another thing: don't put your phone ## in your post or signature. In a matter of weeks or days you could have a ton of telemarketers or text message spam running up your bill. It's the reason why we have PMs here.

Good luck with the set.

Don Lindsly
11-22-2006, 12:30 PM
The 51-0032-1 is the cabinet part number.
AD 77791 is the serial number.

The chassis number would be a good place to start. That would be rubber stamped somewhere on the chassis. It could be three numbers like TV440 or one or two digits followed by a letter and more numbers like 11H60. In that case add 50 to the chassis number to determine the model-year.

A model number is usually on the cabinet back. (portables on bottom). That would begin with two digits (screen size) followed by a letter (year) then 4 more digits indicating product tier. 22D4420 for example is a 21 inch 1956 mid-tier console. Portable model numbers were shorter, for example E2004F was a 1957 14 inch red and white portable.

The flyback part number is on the part itself. It will begin with 32-####-#. If there is a sub, that will be listed in the Parts and Accessories Catalog or sometimes in a service bulletin.

That is more than you may care to know. Give me some more info and I will try to help.

Don

ytbufflo
11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Lee

I have a miss america set. Mine dates from 1962, but I'm sure there are were other years made. Mine has the recessed channel selector as well. Do you have the corner cabinet style? (triangular)

No, mines a big rectangular box about 30" x 30" by 18" deep.

How do you know the fly is toast? do you have shorted or open windings?

It is pretty badly melted. My girlfriend was given the set. I would have recapped it first. But she just turned it on.

What symptoms is the set having? does it come up at all, is it blowing fuses, is the HO tube hot plating?

It had sound and picture with 3" wide black bands at the top and bottom of screen. But just as I arrived, it started smoking and the picture collapsed to all black. Haven't plugged it in since.

I'll be happy to help out with what I can, just give me an idea where you're at with the set's troubles.

The number printed on the back cover is 54-6765-2

On the chassis is stmped 3L60. There's a bunch of other very long numbers but they seem like component numbers.

and another thing: don't put your phone ## in your post or signature.

Thanks. I wuz dum.

Good luck with the set.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

ytbufflo
11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
The 51-0032-1 is the cabinet part number.
AD 77791 is the serial number.

Thank you. I have been trying to track down the real scoop for a while.

The chassis number would be a good place to start. That would be rubber stamped somewhere on the chassis. It could be three numbers like TV440 or one or two digits followed by a letter and more numbers like 11H60. In that case add 50 to the chassis number to determine the model-year.

The largest rubber stamped numbers on the chassis say: 3L60

A model number is usually on the cabinet back. (portables on bottom). That would begin with two digits (screen size) followed by a letter (year) then 4 more digits indicating product tier. 22D4420 for example is a 21 inch 1956 mid-tier console. Portable model numbers were shorter, for example E2004F was a 1957 14 inch red and white portable.

All I can find on the back cover is: 54-6765-2

The flyback part number is on the part itself. It will begin with 32-####-#. If there is a sub, that will be listed in the Parts and Accessories Catalog or sometimes in a service bulletin.

The flyback is pretty badly burned and melted. I've tried to find numbers with an inspection mirror but no luck. Do I have to pull the chassis to remove the flyback? How does that unit come out? It seems attached to some small circuit boards at each end. Are they built-in? ( I might seem like a flake for not pulling the chassis already, but I've got a pair of Ampex 350's on the bench that I've got to finish. I'm trying to sneak in the TV repair on the side so I can have it finished for my girl by Xmas.)

That is more than you may care to know. Give me some more info and I will try to help. Don

You can never give me too much info. More likely, I'll ask too many questions!
Big thanks for all this.

Chad Hauris
11-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I would first make sure there is not another circuit problem...sounds like you might have lost horizontal drive. You need to replace old capacitors/troubleshoot the circuit and it may work with the old flyback...and I would not subject a new flyback to a problematic circuit that may damage it.

ytbufflo
11-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I would first make sure there is not another circuit problem...sounds like you might have lost horizontal drive.

Yes, it needs a thorough going over. I was just making sure I could identify the model and find a schematic.

You need to replace old capacitors/troubleshoot the circuit and it may work with the old flyback...

Jeez, even a melted and crispy flyback? That would be great!

and I would not subject a new flyback to a problematic circuit that may damage it.

No no no, would never do that. Just wanted to make sure I could get the part if needed before trouble shooting/rebuilding the circuit

Thanks for all the help. This is a Predicta chassis, according to the brochure I found on line. If the Predicta buzz on the web is near true, I will most likely be asking for lots more help.

Lee

ytbufflo
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
It's a 1959 Philco Miss America model 6632-5. Now All I need to do is figure out the Sam's code, recap, check the circuit boards and test the flyback. (And other stuff I'm sure to find as I go..)

If anyone can recommend a prefered schematic, please let me know.

Thank you everyone for all your help and interest. According to the brochure I found on line, the chassis is a 1959 Predicta. Are such flybacks available, should i need one? Anyone have a part number or cross reference?

Thanks again,

Lee

PS: if you go to the TV Swap Board - here, I think: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89784 and scroll down to "Mystery Solved" you can see the TV in a 1959 Philco sales brochure.

polaraman
11-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Actually it is model UG6632S,SL,SW!! It is SAMS 429-1. Flyback is 32-8840-1/Thordarson FLY264.

polaraman

ytbufflo
11-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually it is model UG6632S,SL,SW!! It is SAMS 429-1. Flyback is 32-8840-1/Thordarson FLY264.

polaraman

Thanks, Polaraman! I must have talkied to 50 people on line and on the phone trying to find out ANY of the above info. Thanks.