View Full Version : Interesting set on ebay...

John Folsom
11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
This one has a certian style...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1949-pacerdbell-telecaster-blond-with-fm-raideo_W0QQitemZ280051575651QQihZ018QQcategoryZ363 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fujifrontier
11-20-2006, 08:55 PM
i hate incoherent ebay auctions

jpdylon
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
true, his grammar skills are deplorable. However it is a nice looking set, not trashed at all, and the opening bid is great.

fujifrontier
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
i was thinking of bidding on it but I want my RCA working first

kx250rider
11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
true, his grammar skills are deplorable. However it is a nice looking set, not trashed at all, and the opening bid is great.

Likeya sedd clean counsel cabinet wit write prise.

An interesting fact about that Packard-Bell 3311: The renowned Stan Chambers; KTLA reporter since 1947 and still going strong at work, owned one of that model as his first family TV. He bought it locally in Hollywood when he got the new job. As far as anyone knows, Stan is the longest-time TV news broadcaster/reporter still working! He's best known for the first live TV news broadcast of the Cathy Fiscus tragedy in the late 40s. That was where the little girl fell down the well, and after a couple days of attempts on live TV, was not able to be rescued. Might be the most famous live news broadcast ever?

Stan is a heck of a nice guy too.

Charles

kbmuri
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Charles -

Does Mr. Chambers have one now? Restored, I can't imagine a better gift for 60 years of service. I lived in Oceanside for 3 years a decade ago, So I've seen him, but didn't know his history. If I was still out there, I'd buy this set, restore it to mint, then talk to the LA chamber of commerce or someone at KTLA about presenting it to him. Maybe even plug AudioKarma on the honorary plaque.

We had a similar guy in Fort Wayne, Hilliard Gates. Great '50's photo here:
http://halloffame.komets.com/Gates.html
He was an amazing pillar of his community. A hundred thousand people "knew him personally". I met him a few times and shook hands once. He WAS Fort Wayne broadcasting from 1940 for more than 50 years. Passed away some time ago. It would have been a real treat and honor to do something like restore a TV for him. I would think somebody out in LA would want to do the same for Stan Chambers. Especially if the set only goes for fifty bucks...

Unless he already has one, of course.

Tubejunke
11-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Thank God somebody is going to rescue this beauty. Maybe for $5!! There are really some nut cases on Ebay I think. This idiot is talking about throwing his piece of "American history" in the "trash". A while ago I looked at an ad by a guy wanting to "part out" a super clean early 50's Motorola. I'm really glad that there are nuts out there who think this "American history" is junk and want to unload it on some poor soul. I just wish more of them lived on the east coast, and I hope one of us always have room for another refugee.

kx250rider
11-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Charles -

Does Mr. Chambers have one now? Restored, I can't imagine a better gift for 60 years of service. I lived in Oceanside for 3 years a decade ago, So I've seen him, but didn't know his history. If I was still out there, I'd buy this set, restore it to mint, then talk to the LA chamber of commerce or someone at KTLA about presenting it to him. Maybe even plug AudioKarma on the honorary plaque.

We had a similar guy in Fort Wayne, Hilliard Gates. Great '50's photo here:
http://halloffame.komets.com/Gates.html
He was an amazing pillar of his community. A hundred thousand people "knew him personally". I met him a few times and shook hands once. He WAS Fort Wayne broadcasting from 1940 for more than 50 years. Passed away some time ago. It would have been a real treat and honor to do something like restore a TV for him. I would think somebody out in LA would want to do the same for Stan Chambers. Especially if the set only goes for fifty bucks...

Unless he already has one, of course.

I offered him one in the early 90s. He was very appreciative of the idea, but gave vibes that he wasn't really interested. I helped out with a TV tribute to him, called "LA's Treasure". It has a lot of really nice early TV footage, thanks to Steve D and Ed Reitan, among others. If anyone wants, I'm sure one of the three of us could cough up a copy...

Charles

worm082
11-25-2006, 12:59 AM
There was a guy like this named Art Lake here in Rhode Island until recently. He was on WJAR radio as a DJ starting in 1944. Then moved over to WJAR-TV as a news/weatherman when it began in 1949. He was there up until 2005 I believe after suffering a stroke.

http://www.turnto10.com/station/2965400/detail.html