View Full Version : Harry Poster is selling a beautiful CTC-9

jpdylon
11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/scarce-1959-Atherton-210CK905-RCA-CTC-9-Color-TV_W0QQitemZ230052680085QQihZ013QQcategoryZ73374QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Very nice set for someone local. Should bring in some $$$.

bgadow
11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Hmmm...ends tonight but no bids yet. I couldn't plow $200 into it myself, but this set is worth it.

Bobby Brady
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
I just looked at it for the first time and that info box was cutting off all the words on the right side!

A potential buyer cannot tell if it's working or not.

I think it's a great deal even not working but that is no way to sell a TV!

I hope the seller will restore it or let one of the guys here get it working because I bet somebody out there would pay a big price for it if it worked.

drh4683
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
not intended to put down harry poster, but for a person who is familar with old TV's, he should be more descriptive as to what is wrong. Not expecting a full trouble diagnosis, but when someone says it doesnt work, it can be taken two different ways. Either it doesnt work like its supposed to, or it wont power up. Especially with an old color set.. If it has a raster and nothing else, then we are good to go. As long as that flyback is good, you have something to work with.
Its a very nice set though, worth the $200 imo.

hposter
11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi All!

First, the layout on the page can not be changed--it's the layout ebay applies. Usually this is a problem that is between your server and ebay. I posted the description and it is shows up properly on my Netscape 7.2...only ebay gets to screw it up.

On the Not working angle--'When plugged in, the set did not work' and that says it all. Plug it in, turn on the switch, Dead as a Door Knocker! As with most of the guys on AudioKarma, I can spot tube filaments that light up, raster on a CRT, audio hum, and faint sounds--and I happily report anything that IS working.

But I wouldn't lie--Not Working, is, well, not working. Not filaments, not audio, not raster, not nothing! (unfortunately). Even one question answered at the bottom--'Q: Does it actually work? A: Be sure to read the complete description, before bidding. Per the description: '...When plugged in, the set did not work.'

Hopefully someone that knows how to get it up and running will snipe at the last second. A collector from France bought my last CTC-9, and showed some interest in this one. I recently sold a Marshall Amp, not working, and the guy reported back that he fixed a couple of loose connections, and now it works perfectly. So, maybe a fuse, burnt tube, or bad thingamabob will be the only needed replacement. And, if not, at least the buyer will know I wasn't lying, it's Not Working.

Thanks for looking at the TV--Harry

Bobby Brady
11-20-2006, 06:26 PM
This could be a great set to get!

The impression I get from what the seller wrote is that he may not know of anything wrong with the flyback and CRT and therefore they could be good. If others here trust him I would too.

captainmoody
11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Keep bringin' on the sets harry! I have bought from you in the past and always had great results. You have provided what many collectors just can't find in their home areas.