View Full Version : "Old time TV"

Eric H
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
They consider this an Old TV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-time-TV_W0QQitemZ300049676872QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3638QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you feel old yet?

Edit: Added the pic so we'll know what were talking about after eBay takes down the page.

Sandy G
11-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Well, Eric, it WAS made in the Last Century...<grin>

truetone36
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
If they saw the Space Command 600 in my living room, they'd think it was downright prehistoric. The seller must be under 30, because anything from the 80's is "antique" to them.

Dumont-First with the finest in television.:yes:

Bill R
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Well it is built into a "Television furniture box" with speakers no less.

Bill R

Geoff Bourquin
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
I used to work on those when they were still under warranty. I guess I am old. :sigh:

Eric H
11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
OK guys, here your chance!
Here's a similar set but it's listed wrong, the guy doesn't know it's antique! You migh be able to snag it for the .99c opening bid!

I don't have room for it so if you want it go for it!!:lmao:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Floor-Model-TV_W0QQitemZ220049460648QQihZ012QQcategoryZ73374QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rca2000
11-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I used to work on those when they were still under warranty. I guess I am old. :sigh:

And I HATE those chassis!! The infamous CTC-140.

Love to HATE it!!

It will provide a really good picture...when it works(which is not very often nowdays, since all of that glue on the botom of the board is most likely becomming conductive by now!!)

bgadow
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
A couple weeks ago I had a table set up at the local hobby fair-I had my 630ts there playing among other things. Anyway, one nice lady came by and offered me an old TV she had, and before I left her son in law delivered it. Zenith porthole? Philco Miss America? Early Trinitron? No, her antique was a Boshei 12" bw. Well, it was free...I'll try to give it away to somebody.

Captain Video
11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, departing a little from the TV related subject, I'm 29, and I remember that when I was 20 the media started to call the original Star Wars movie "a classic". It may sound funny, but I felt very depressed, because I begun to feel like I was old, almost a fossil, because Star Wars was released on the same year I was born, and I spent my entire childhood and teenage years loving that movie ( I still do ), and until 1997 the only movies I heard/read the media naming "classics" were those very old ones, like Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

andy
11-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, departing a little from the TV related subject, I'm 29, and I remember that when I was 20 the media started to call the original Star Wars movie "a classic". It may sound funny, but I felt very depressed, because I begun to feel like I was old, almost a fossil, because Star Wars was released on the same year I was born, and I spent my entire childhood and teenage years loving that movie ( I still do ), and until 1997 the only movies I heard/read the media naming "classics" were those very old ones, like Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

I'm 28 and I know how you feel...

I can still remember buying a junky late 60's Zenith TV from a yard sale when I was a kid. The guy said it was 25 years old and I thought that was ancient. Now I'm older than that TV!

I still think of a TV, or VCR from 1992 as being pretty new, but they're 16 years old. The web didn't even exist then.

Sandy G
11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Ha ! Mere pups...they'd have fits if they'd see my 1948 7" Admiral in action...

peverett
11-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I saw the original Star Wars movie when it first came out, so I am definitely old. I also have the original record containing the soundtrack for it.

For a moment, I thought I had a gold mine in the record, but it turns out that so many were sold that it is only worth $20 or so.

I have not seen the latest Star Wars movies as I am more interested in science fact (such as the Mars rovers, etc.) than science fiction these days.

JCFitz
11-16-2006, 08:52 PM
A couple weeks ago I had a table set up at the local hobby fair-I had my 630ts there playing among other things. Anyway, one nice lady came by and offered me an old TV she had, and before I left her son in law delivered it. Zenith porthole? Philco Miss America? Early Trinitron? No, her antique was a Boshei 12" bw. Well, it was free...I'll try to give it away to somebody.

I can't give away any 70s or 80s vintage tvs or vcrs either. The market died for vcrs over 5 years ago and I quit trying too sell used tvs over a year ago at the flea market. Thus my massive cleanout this Sunday due to finding out a former flea market friend is an inside man at the dump in Parsonsburg. He said bring all you want on Sunday for free.Just about can't give away 90s tvs but I may be able to get a few $$ from them so I won't dump them until I find out if they're easy or hard to fix. The easy ones I'll sell for something. the hard ones go to the dump too. Not worth the frustration.

It's funny but in my job of repairing tvs I'm asked a lot how long a set should last. I tell them a lot depends on the build quality and the quality is not what it used to be. They're always amazed when I tell them my daily watcher is from the 80s and over 20 years old.Sometimes I tell older people about my uncle and his Zenith daily watcher from 1968-2000 and they go wow, I remember those tvs with a stereo and record player built in.They say how did you find tubes for it that long?...lol.

The sad thing is I'm plugging in out of curiosity these sets before I load them up and even after being in an open front shed with dirt and rain blowing on them for years a lot of these sets work or try to work. Some have the original problem they had when put there and no new ones other than dirty controls and some high voltage corona. I had some a long time and never got around to them because newer sets were selling with the occasional older tv sold for $10 to $25 for a color tv. More like $10 the last year and then couldn't move one for $5 towards the end.No non remote tv will even bring $1 at auction.Even some remote but 80s looking tvs won't either.(woodgrain,led channel display,speaker and buttons on side, deep particle board cabinets vs all plastic on later tvs)Let a mid 90s 27" w/ remote go for $40 so I wouldn't have to haul it back after trying to sell it for a month.That's how bad it got.

Good luck on that b/w Brian. I put them on freecycle before and no one wants them. I think the salvation army will take them but more than likely it will end up in the dumpster instead of put out for sale.

truetone36
11-22-2006, 06:35 PM
A friend of mine gave me 2 "antique" sets yesterday. He talked as if they were really old color sets when he first told me about them, so I was a little dissappointed when I recieved a 19" Goldstar from 1991 (he thought it must be an antique cause it had knobs on it). The other set, while not really being
exactly an antique, is a nice set. a RCA XL-100 19" set from 1976 with power tuning. the RCA went to my collection, the Goldstar to the computer room, as both sets are in good working condition.

Dumont-First with the finest in television.:yes:

fujifrontier
12-05-2006, 12:15 AM
They consider this an Old TV.

and I hope they all die.

you should see the looks of amazement and bewilderment when I tell people most of my AV gear is about as old as, or in some cases older than me

1981 Sony HVC-2200 camera
1982 Sony SL-2000
1983 Sony SL-HF300
1983 Sony Betamovie
1985 Yamaha DSP-1
1986 Sony 13" TV (forget model #)
1990 Sony laserdisc player
1995 Sony SLV-575UC

and of course my unrestored T639, and various other assorted components. i would like to think that I have a much more accurate "time scale" in determining "really old" things. like, 1950 and earlier is old....

Bobby Brady
12-09-2006, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=fujifrontier]and I hope they all die.QUOTE]

Isn't that going a bit too far? I should hope we could behave better than that... I know I will!

fujifrontier
12-09-2006, 04:00 PM
they have no thought of the past, or the future... just now

you can't fix that

Bobby Brady
12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
they have no thought of the past, or the future... just now

you can't fix that

Some people claim you can fix anything with the right knowledge!

Kamakiri
12-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Including re-banning previously banned members :)

fujifrontier
12-10-2006, 06:10 PM
why was he banned

Kamakiri
12-10-2006, 06:14 PM
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63946&page=2

Starts with post #28 and continues on, that's his previous name. Going way off topic in this thread, but you asked :)

fujifrontier
12-10-2006, 08:42 PM
that was a fun read