View Full Version : CTC-19 cabinet question

kx250rider
11-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I am trying to find out whether there was a real version of the RCA CTC-19 color set; in the metal-cabinet table model configuration, which was painted a steel gray with a black metal back. I had one like that in the 70s, and I have never seen another one that was not woodgrained wallpaper metal.

I wonder if mine was a motel set, or something weird about it? I might restore this woodgrained one I have here now, with the painted metal finish. It's woodgrain wallpaper is really shot.

Charles

Chad Hauris
11-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Here is a 1974 tube type KCS chassis which has a grey metal cabinet...maybe the ctc-19 was made in this same finish.

drh4683
11-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Ive got two CTC-19's. Neither have the woodgrain vinalclad. The one is a '66 model with black cabinet, and the other is a '67 model with a white/grey cloth material bonded onto the cabinet. Both are original condition sets.

Bobby Brady
11-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Ive got two CTC-19's. Neither have the woodgrain vinalclad. The one is a '66 model with black cabinet, and the other is a '67 model with a white/grey cloth material bonded onto the cabinet. Both are original condition sets.

When I was a little boy freinds of my parents had what was a very unusual looking TV to me. It was an RCA just like the two drh4683 posted but it was finished in a blackish color painted cabinet and it had the less often used version of the VHF knob that was square with slightly extended corners. The set is memorable to me because some comment was made that it came from a hotel or motel.

I wish we could find more original hotel/motel sets as they are often plain and cheap looking but really neat nonetheless. If only those sets could talk!

Chad Hauris
11-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Bobby, the motel/hospital etc. sets did use the square type knob whereas the consumer sets usually used the type with a bar type grip. The motel sets were branded RCA Mural TV and had other features such as a 75 ohm coaxial antenna input and a cover panel for the service controls.

matt_s78mn
11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Bobby, the motel/hospital etc. sets did use the square type knob whereas the consumer sets usually used the type with a bar type grip. The motel sets were branded RCA Mural TV and had other features such as a 75 ohm coaxial antenna input and a cover panel for the service controls.

I can understand covering the controls to keep people from tampering, and using a 75 ohm connector for connection to a MATV system, but what is the reason for using a different tuning knob?

Chad Hauris
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure...the only "consumer" model RCA I have seen use the square knobs has been a CTC-30 with power tuning. All of the other ones have been on Mural sets.

truetone36
11-12-2006, 08:11 PM
My CTC-19 is a Mural set and it also has the faux wood grain on the cabinet.
I can't recall seeing one that doesn't, though I've seen a lot of RCA B/W sets of that vintage that have painted cabinets. In fact, I have a B/W 19" set
from '64 (kcs???) that has a gray painted cabinet.

Dumont-First with the finest in television.:yes:

captainmoody
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I have a 19" CTC-27 "Mural TV" hospital set, it's set up for the wired remote with speaker for bedside use. Has the same squarish knob and 75 ohm input as well. Also has the better blue fiberglass pc boards for durability. Has the plain Beige painted metal cabinet.

Radiophile2001
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I've got the same set, via Bryan Gadow.....he said it was a 1969 chassis. Great reception, esp. on UHF. The speaker grille is alumninum. I think it is only for hotel rooms though, because I didn't see any wired remote outputs.
A faux wood grain finish.

I have a 19" CTC-27 "Mural TV" hospital set, it's set up for the wired remote with speaker for bedside use. Has the same squarish knob and 75 ohm input as well. Also has the better blue fiberglass pc boards for durability. Has the plain Beige painted metal cabinet.

Steve D.
11-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Chad,

I also recall that these hotel sets and others were securely bolted to a swivel base attached to the dresser. And you were handed a remote with your room key and were expected to return the remote when you checked out. Sets are still bolted down to this day. No one wants to steal those lousy towels anymore.

-Steve D.

Bobby Brady
11-19-2006, 08:03 AM

I think the set captainmoody has pictured here is missing a speaker grill that was probably aluminum.

I am surprised to learn of the option of better quality circuit boards.
That set must be the best version of that cabinet style except if there was one with wireless remote. I expect there was.

A few months ago there was a white RCA remote with a long cable and I bet it was the one for that. Seems like it would have been good to buy it.

captainmoody
11-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Nope, the speaker grille is not missing. The pic makes it look that way. I have the advert for the set and it looks exactly like mine. You have to figure that the Hospital sets did not need the fancy trim or woodgrain cabinets. They just had to be engineered to be more durable, due to the constant use they received.
Oh, BTW I saw the wired hospital remote, but missed bidding on it. There were no bidders, so I asked the seller if he would relist or sell outright. The butthead didn't even respond or bother to relist it..

old_tv_nut
11-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I think the set captainmoody has pictured here is missing a speaker grill that was probably aluminum.

I am surprised to learn of the option of better quality circuit boards.
That set must be the best version of that cabinet style except if there was one with wireless remote. I expect there was.

A few months ago there was a white RCA remote with a long cable and I bet it was the one for that. Seems like it would have been good to buy it.

If this was a hospital set, the different PCB material is probably a higher grade of fire retardant.

drh4683
11-19-2006, 08:31 PM
When was that remote on ebay? Too bad the seller had to be a jerk. Go figure.

captainmoody
11-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh, it was months ago. That's the one I told you about on the phone.

drh4683
11-20-2006, 05:52 AM
yes, your're right. Didnt think back far enough:bash: