View Full Version : Found a Zenith 4 Tube

maxm
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
This is another one of those Zenith survival stories.

I found this set along with some other junk in the alley this weekend, this makes the 6th vintage Zenith set I've found... It's nice to live in Chicago.

This set was obviously used in somebody's woodshop, since it's FULL of wood chips and sawdust. The chassis if covered with a thick layer, along with everything else inside the sat. It's actually better than a set full of sticky cigarette smoke filled dust, since this stuff can just be brushed off the chassis, as you can see in one picture where I cleaned off a little of the dust. A little time with the shop vac and a paint brush and the inside should look good.

I decided to power it up and see what happened. I got that nice old TV with a big metal chassis degaussing thump (I love that sound), and some static from the speaker. The screen same on with a colored snow raster, I didn't connect an antenna to see if I could get a picture. Still pretty good results for a set in that condition.

I did notice that the "tall red thing" (sorry) behind the flyback was broken from its mounts. Is this something to worry about? There did not seem to be cracks in the case, just where it is screwed into the chassis.

The four tubes were replaced with RCAs and a DuMont sometime in the set's life. From some dates in the set, I believe it was made early in 1973.

The build quality of this set is still classic Zenith, full of steel, this is one heavy TV!

As you can see the set is missing the VHF tuning knobs, if anybody has a picture of the knob, or perhaps the actual know, please let me know.

Stay tuned to see the set cleaned up...

Carmine
11-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Probably should look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/TVs/z1zenithcolor.jpg

Bobby Brady
11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I have never seen that series having that style channel selector which had no dial lights.
Could it be a hotel set?

Adam
11-06-2006, 11:55 PM
I might have one for you. Is this it? I probably have the fine tuning knob that goes with it, but I'm not so sure how to identify it, anyone know if would it be the same as the one that fits this older Zenith?

Bobby Brady
11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
This set has the non-illuminated knob with white letters on black face.

drh4683
11-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Nice find. Brings back good memories. I found lots of those back in the early 90's. Bobby is correct. Im pretty sure I have the knob and fine tune knob for this set. I took all of mine apart even the ones that worked as I loved to just look at the chassis on those when I was a kid. (yes I know some of you are thinking "what do you mean, you're still a kid") I always kept the knobs and still have the chassis for a few of them, 15 years later......

maxm
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
... I tried to attach some new pictures to this post, but the attach button didn't show up. I'll try again later...

I cleaned out the set today, found a huge wad of wood chips in the front near the speaker, I don't know how all that stuff got in there.
The chassis look a lot better not, I also cleaned the front of the set, it's kind of beat up, but also look a lot better.
When going over the chassis I noticed more cracks on the red thing behind the fly (tripler?).
These are small thin cracks on the top of the unit. I assume crack on a high voltage part are bad, so I didn't power the set up again. If this part is bad, it hard to find a replacement (Moyers?).
It is connected to the smaller piece in front of it (visible in the picture), it seems like these are permanently connected and would be replaced as one unit.
Sorry if these are obvious questions. I have heard good things about the pictures on these sets and would like to get it working.
Thanks for the knob offers Doug and Adam, I remembered I have a big bag of TV knobs, I'll look through that and see what I find before you send me anything.

andy
11-10-2006, 08:06 PM
You can probably seal any cracks with RTV silicone (after cleaning it). It eather a tripler, or focus bleeder.

3Guncolor
11-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I was able to get a repacment HV focus bleeder that would work in that set from Moyers a few months ago so they may still have some. It was a ECG replacement.

maxm
11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Here is the cleaned up chassis and the two HV parts in question.

Would the cracks have been caused by normal degrading of the part, or a sign that something else bad was happening?

I always hear about RTV silicone, can I get this at the hardware store? I assume it's different from the stuff in tubes for sealing you bathtub or windows...

kx250rider
11-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I would replace both the focus divider (smaller gray one) and the tripler with an ECG-526A. That eliminates the focus divider, and works more reliably. Simple rewire is required. The cracks are due to age, but you cannot have cracks in those parts. They will arc, burn, and all kinds of unsavory things!

Charles

tomt
11-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I might have one for you. Is this it? I probably have the fine tuning knob that goes with it, but I'm not so sure how to identify it, anyone know if would it be the same as the one that fits this older Zenith?

parents had one of these.

watched this tv for years.

Lightning got the poor thing