View Full Version : Beautiful 1964 RCA 21" roundie with stereo in LA on eBay!!

Steve Hoffman
08-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Our buddy Jon Lopez is selling this good looking set with stereo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%202187880235

He's practically giving it away.

With a little work, this baby could be a showpiece. It's in the San Fernando Valley suburb of Los Angeles. If I had room I'd grab it but my wife would kill me!

That's a CTC-16 in there...

Rob
08-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey Steve,

Where 'ya been buddy? Yeah that is one beautiful console allright. I hope it finds a home where it will be appreciated.

Rob

Steve Hoffman
08-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Oh, I'm here every day, usually in lurk mode.

I hope somebody gets this set. It's quite impressive. I could sleep on it!

Eric H
08-16-2003, 11:54 PM
If I got rid of my Curtis-Mathis B&W console I would have room for this :D

My lower back would never survive it though!

I have an idea! I could get this too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2550098773&category=25254

Rob
08-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Eric,

Now that makes a lot of sense! With a propane forklift you could run it indoors and not worry about fumes. You'd be all set to handle the big collectibles like even a DuMont Royal Sovereign, or hey I know....you could buy my Eidophor projectors! :)

Rob

mikey5967
08-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Guys, I LOVE the console.

But I live in New York City. How the heck would I get it crated and shipped? Anybody have any idea?

Please help if you can, I'd love to buy this if we can figure a way to get it to me safely without spending a fortune.

thanks,

Mike

Rob
08-21-2003, 04:34 PM
:p:

Steve Hoffman
08-21-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mikey5967
Guys, I LOVE the console.

But I live in New York City. How the heck would I get it crated and shipped? Anybody have any idea?

Please help if you can, I'd love to buy this if we can figure a way to get it to me safely without spending a fortune.

thanks,

Mike

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

Worth a shot.

Steve D.
08-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey Hoffy,
Good tip. Craters & Freighters does pick up in the zip code where Jon's combo is located. (91405). So Mike, if you can, don't let this beautiful set get away or worse..:confused:
There are several of us roundie collectors in the L.A. area, but we all have the same problem: SPACE! or should I say the lack of space.

mikey5967
08-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Ok!!

I'll give them a call.

Anybody have ANY idea what this baby weighs?

Mikey

jstout66
08-21-2003, 09:17 PM
I could be off, but I would say between 150 & 200 pounds. A CTC-16 console tv by itself has got to be an easy 100 pounds, so I would assume another 50 pounds tacked on with the stereo equipment. This is one sweet set! I love these combo units! Back "in the day" I remember special ordering a Zenith Chromacolor 2 combo unit. It had a special inlaid wood cabinet, and had Space Command with Zoom. I think it was $1100 and this was in 1979 or 1980. I remember that sucker weighed a TON and it was not a solid wood cabinet like this RCA is. Anyway.. Good luck Mikey! I hope you get this. You will be amazed at the sound quality!

fredh
08-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Mike,
C&F does excellent work in crating and shipping. I've used them many times. That big unit will cost a lot to crate. I've also used Eric's Machine Movers. He mostly moves jukeboxes but he's picked up some tvs for me. No problems and it was about half the cost since he doesn't crate the set. 866-ERIC-SHP is the number I have for him. Good luck, that is a beautiful console.
Fred

mikey5967
08-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks to one and all.

Still trying to figure out if it will fit in my elevator!

I need to do some measuring this weekend.

Now, if I used the Jukebox guy and he doesnt crate it, isnt it very likey it would be damaged in shipping? Would it stay on one truck all the way thru?

Mike

fredh
08-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Yes, it's on his personal truck and he takes good care of the sets. That's why they don't have to be crated. The last tv I shipped with Eric went from PA to CA then to TX and it arrived with no damage.
Fred

mikey5967
08-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks Fredo!!!

If it will fit in my elevator, its a possibilty.

thanks for your help!!!

Think he would go all the way to NYC tho?

Eric H
08-22-2003, 04:46 PM
There is another one just like it just listed, the guy started it at $500:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2188869282&category=3638

Steve D.
08-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Also appears to be in good shape. I would like a better picture and info on its working condition. And like Jon's combo it's located in So. Cal.
Oh the temptation.:eek:

mikey5967
08-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Me too...I just asked the seller if everything is in working condition.

NOW it may be worth shipping to the east coast......

Mikey

Eric H
08-22-2003, 06:18 PM
They are both within driving distance for me...
They're MINE, MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!!! BWHAHAHAHAAAAAA !!!!

:yippy:

Um... Just kidding!

jstout66
08-22-2003, 08:49 PM
It looks like the picture tube in this eBay listing is a replacement "black-matrix" tube which is a big plus. I had a CTC-16 I sold with a "black matrix" colorama tube in it and the picture was FANTASTIC! I wish I never would have sold it, but you guys know about the "needing more room" situation..... LOL. I think the seller has the price a tad high. You can always tell a "newbie" on eBay because they always start out with the price they want. For $500.00 this set had better be flawless. I think the other combo unit we have been chatting about probably doesn't need that much work. The boards separating from the chassis??? I have never seen that problem in an RCA of this vintage. I think the tech just didn't want to work on it, and most techs don't know how. I currently have a 1970's Chromacolor 2 in the shop and the tech had worked on them, but he wasn't too pleased to be working on something that old. I even had to get the parts myself from Moyers, as they wouldn't even look.... Anyway, for me it would be a toss-up on which set to get. If this seller has no bids, maybe he would "deal", but I would sure check and make sure EVERYTHING works. When you pay that much you wouldn't want to sink in hundreds more on repairs. DRH sold his restored Maggie Combo and it didn't bring that much for all the work he had in it. Altho on that set the turntable was better than what RCA used but I think an RCA is a much better design tv wise than Magnavox. Just my opinion, and hope someone gets these cool combos!! (wish I had the room....)

rca2000
08-23-2003, 01:00 AM
When I won the bid for that zenith combo in june, some people i knew thought i was crazy to even want the set. After all, it was over 400 miles from my home( it was in north carolina), and very big ,and VERY heavy!!(over 300 pounds!!). But, I got that zenith combo, for a big, whopping $9.95!!. My expenses to get it were around 65.00 So, I have a combo, with REMOTE, a POWERFUL stereo, with 12" 3-way speakers, and a good (though delimanated) 21fjp22. So, I think I came out quite good in the deal. It now has a new home in my basement.

And now, some wise guy wants $500.00 for a ctc-16 combo, in CA? WHAT IS HE THINKING?! . Many people PAY to get rid of those. My advice--- either wait until he gets no bids this time, and puts it up for MUCH less, Or, if you have the money to waste-- go for it. But, remember, a ctc-15 combo was on e bay a few months ago--- it atarted out high also-- but ended up selling foFIFTY CENTS I THINK!!!

By the way, the reason my combo only had one channel of the stereo working, was a bad coupling cap on that big germaniun transistor amp, which ,of course ,is an easy fix!!

Rob
08-23-2003, 01:14 AM
I think those large consoles are very nice period piece furniture but I don't think sticking them in a room filled with other vintage TV's does them justice. To appreciate their beauty and design I think they need their own room with the other furniture done mid 60's to match. I've got a really excellent table lamp for such a room if anyone needs it.

I've had to move much of my vintage TV collection out of the living room where it was on display because I needed this area recently for audio development work. Sure wish I had an extra living room for my TV collection.

Eric H
08-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Well the first one finally got a bid at $50 (is he "one of us?") so I think the other one will go begging at $500, even if it works.

Steve D.
08-25-2003, 05:53 PM
That $50.00 RCA Danish Modern combo that spawned two threads and 32 replies sold for a bid of $67.00. Someone got a good deal. Plus the buyer lives in So. Cal. so he can drive over and "pick it up". Ouch! I hope he brings help.

Steve Hoffman
08-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Steve, it looks like a guy from my Forum bought it.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20108

Good. Jon owes me a $10.00 kickback!:)