View Full Version : Borat

Eric H
11-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Full title:
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Saw this yesterday, I imagine some people will absolutely hate this movie because it's somewhat vulgar and shocking at times but I thought it was funny, damn near pee your pants funny sometimes.

Sacha Baron Cohen (a.k.a Ali G) must have some major big cajones to do some of the stuff he did in this film!!

Toka
11-07-2006, 02:01 PM
This film was utterly, completely hilarious. I saw it in a packed Manhattan theater on opening night and people were literally (yes, literally) rolling on the floor. While I can't say it was 'perfect' (the show spoiled me a bit) it was easily the funniest experience at the movies this decade.

Aage
11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Would you believe there's a Turkish guy that is claiming that Cohen (Barat) copied him and he's about to go to London to collect money and an apology from him.

see http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2006/11/07/mahir-borat.html

slow_jazz
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
i saw the movie sunday night and it was packed with teenage guys who were just totally laughing their asses off.... totally enjoyed the whole experience.... funny movie made even funnier by the crowd....

Andyman
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Heard them talking about it on the radio today.
Apparently, someone decided it was too hot for regular distribution, so it went the "art" theater route.
The result was the 3rd highest ever revenues/screen, behind only "Spiderman" and I forget what else.

From Wikipedia:
"Audiences embraced the film, which played to sell-out crowds in many of its U.S. showings on its opening night. This led to a largely unexpected first-day gross of $9,050,000[9], wildly surpassing its competition despite having been shown on only 837 screens, far fewer than the competition which is shown on over 3,000 screens.

Over the opening weekend of the film, it unexpectedly got to No. 1 on the weekend with a total of $26.9 million, beating its competitors, Flushed Away and The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. The film's opening weekend's theatre average was an estimated $31,511, topping over Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith yet behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Spider-Man. [2]"

I gotta see it; the synopsis was hilarious :thmbsp:

Eunomians
11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Would you believe there's a Turkish guy that is claiming that Cohen (Barat) copied him and he's about to go to London to collect money and an apology from him.

It does not surprise me that someone wants in on some of that cash.

jguzman21
11-07-2006, 07:26 PM
:lurk:

Eric H
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Possibly true, Sasha BAron Cohen has said the character was inspired by a real person/s

skyblue49
11-08-2006, 06:29 AM
I thought it was quite funny to Eric! geeze I laughed so hard, I had to be told to keep quite ! good movie!

Aage
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Possibly true, Sasha BAron Cohen has said the character was inspired by a real person/s

From the linked article: "Cohen has said in the past the character came out of a meeting with a doctor from Southern Russia."

Mahir Cagri might be many things, but he isn't a doctor, and he is from Turkey. There's a photo of him in the article with quotes from his 1999 internet notoriety, and a good write-up on him in Wikipedia. But this is a pretty generic character to make the claims he's putting out. i. e. that he "owns" the shtick.

As someone else in the thread mentioned, it's just a cash grab, sadly.

"Een my country, we no have thees." When I first heard that one, I fell off my dinosaur. :rimshot:

Toka
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
-Deleted by Moderator-

Was that really necessary? :nono:

But anyway, when I saw it there were hardly any teens to be seen, not that it matters anyway. Heck, even my parents (mid 60's) are planning on seeing it this weekend. Its a funny movie, plain and simple. :yes:

Negotiableterms
11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Just a reminder, folks:

Political commentary, humorous or otherwise, is not allowed on AK. Beyond that, please keep in mind that AK is based on congeniality, and posts that attack or belittle other members views are also subject to deletion or editing.

grumpy
11-08-2006, 11:56 AM
No it was not necessary. Play nice now !

riffer
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
From the linked article: "Cohen has said in the past the character came out of a meeting with a doctor from Southern Russia."

Mahir Cagri might be many things, but he isn't a doctor, and he is from Turkey. There's a photo of him in the article with quotes from his 1999 internet notoriety, and a good write-up on him in Wikipedia. But this is a pretty generic character to make the claims he's putting out. i. e. that he "owns" the shtick.

As someone else in the thread mentioned, it's just a cash grab, sadly.

"Een my country, we no have thees." When I first heard that one, I fell off my dinosaur. :rimshot:

Ever since Seinfeld and the "Soup Nazi" I tend to give this sort of claim more credence.

fropiler
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
But then with everyone & their brother imitating this guy, I almost feel like I won't have to see it.

How many times, and for how many years did we have to endure some lame imitation of the "Soup Nazi"?

3 days!

We're really in for it now.

Bobby Brady
11-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Was that really necessary? :nono:

But anyway, when I saw it there were hardly any teens to be seen, not that it matters anyway. Heck, even my parents (mid 60's) are planning on seeing it this weekend. Its a funny movie, plain and simple. :yes:

Yes, it was necessary to inspire some consideration to the harm Borat does to children.

My comment was in response to the post here that sites the laughter of many teen boys as being an indicator to the quality or value of the film.

It is interesting to me to see that my humor was interpreted as wrong or harmful when in fact the movie Borat has more homo-erotic and disrespectful humor than any mainstream film I have ever seen.

Is something wonderful and harmless just because most people like it? I guess whomever was offended by my humble attempt to bring a laugh here would not care.

Is Borat a movie that helps people treat others better? I guess as long as most people enjoy it then nothing else matters.

Is seeing the practically nude star showing off his huge anatomy scandily clad in a variation of a G-string good for kids to see? I guess as long as it is claimed to be humorous by most people then the kids will be fine.

In spite of the unfair veiw towards my attempt to be funny with words far less harmful to kids than 75% of the Borat script I will put even more effort to not share any of my supposed knowlege of what is healthy for people and I will abstain from trying to give a laugh or two to the adults who are here.

There are many reasons kids today have trouble not getting into trouble and the movie Borat does nothing but influence kids to be harmful to others as well as themselves. If children were better educated they would find the movie as predictable and boring as I did.

Do any of you ever wonder or care why most kids start having sexual interaction by age 10? I guess if we pretend that fact is not true than my thoughts of giving healthy influences support as opposed to supporting unhealthy influences is a complete waste of everybody's time.

Now perhaps a moderator will determine this post offensive and you can all go back to helping Hollywood sell Borat to the children! :thumbsdn:

fropiler
11-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, it was necessary to inspire some consideration to the harm Borat does to children.

My comment was in response to the post here that sites the laughter of many teen boys as being an indicator to the quality or value of the film.

It is interesting to me to see that my humor was interpreted as wrong or harmful when in fact the movie Borat has more homo-erotic and disrespectful humor than any mainstream film I have ever seen.

Is something wonderful and harmless just because most people like it? I guess whomever was offended by my humble attempt to bring a laugh here would not care.

Is Borat a movie that helps people treat others better? I guess as long as most people enjoy it then nothing else matters.

Is seeing the practically nude star showing off his huge anatomy scandily clad in a variation of a G-string good for kids to see? I guess as long as it is claimed to be humorous by most people then the kids will be fine.

In spite of the unfair veiw towards my attempt to be funny with words far less harmful to kids than 75% of the Borat script I will put even more effort to not share any of my supposed knowlege of what is healthy for people and I will abstain from trying to give a laugh or two to the adults who are here.

There are many reasons kids today have trouble not getting into trouble and the movie Borat does nothing but influence kids to be harmful to others as well as themselves. If children were better educated they would find the movie as predictable and boring as I did.

Do any of you ever wonder or care why most kids start having sexual interaction by age 10? I guess if we pretend that fact is not true than my thoughts of giving healthy influences support as opposed to supporting unhealthy influences is a complete waste of everybody's time.

Now perhaps a moderator will determine this post offensive and you can all go back to helping Hollywood sell Borat to the children! :thumbsdn:

It's an R rated movie, not a Disney flick. Sorry you didn't like it, but it's not like there wasn't sufficient warning just by watching the clips. Nobody put a gun to your head.

Let me worry about raising my children, thank you.

Bobby Brady
11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
It's an R rated movie, not a Disney flick. Sorry you didn't like it, but it's not like there wasn't sufficient warning just by watching the clips. Nobody put a gun to your head.

Let me worry about raising my children, thank you.

Once again, misunderstood.

Do you recognize that there are valid reasons our society labels people under the age of 18 as children?

While those under 17 are not supposed to watch it they most certainly will when all the "adults" rave on about the film as though it is the greatest thing since free love and nickel beer. :thumbsdn:

grumpy
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey bob,

Do us a favor and take a great big helping of shut the hell up.

The only ones who harms the kids by letting them see offensive movies is the parent.

Were done with this one for today folks.