View Full Version : Motorola VT71

barrynsue
11-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi folks,

I have a Mororola VT71 but the power cord is broken. I had a rigged cord that I used to variac it up but could not wait for hours to see if I could check it out. I did see the tubes light and some crackle from the speaker but did not have sufficient power as I was scared my cord ay cause more harm than good.

I am not a TV guy and not sure where I may find a power cord replacement. The unit is in excellent cosmetic condition on the exterior w/ all knobs although the rear protective screen is missing and of course, the surround around the CRT is sagging.

Any help is appreciated. I just want to see if it is operational or if it needs a CRT. Not sure if they can be found unless a parts unit is found but a cool TV nonetheless for those who enjoy these.

Thanks for taking your time to educate a TV novice (other than watching).

Barry

David Roper
11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
This set needs much more than a power cord. Your desire to test the CRT is more than understandable, it's downright practical. But you really can not use an unrestored VT-71 chassis for any purpose. You'll have to find somebody with an operating electrostatic set who can test the CRT for you by plugging it into their set's chassis. That's the only sure test. Your VT-71 Will minimally need every electrolytic and paper capacitor replaced before you proceed to even power it on again, and probably will need many (particularly high value) resistors replaced before it will operate well enough to watch. The ballast, if original, is highly prone to imminent failure as well. You can't just plug 'n' play a 60-year-old TV no matter how good it looks--even if you just uncrated it from its original shipping box!

barrynsue
11-02-2006, 06:50 PM
David,

Looks like it is way beyond anything am am willing to get into but your informative post is very much appreciated. I guess it will just move it out for someone who has the expertise and desire to get it up and running. The exterior is very nice and all other parts appear to be in place including original knobs.

Based on the age of some of the tubes, someone has had it up and running at some point in the not too distant past. I am sure however that it will need quite a bit of updating. I have a copy of the SAMS and it looked to be highly involved and not something I could undertake.

Many thanks for your advise.

Barry