View Full Version : Did you ever have one of those days???

Bill Cahill
10-24-2006, 03:30 PM
When nothing could go right?

Well, I just did. Trying very hard to get two tv's done for a customer this morning, I talked the customer into buying a new picture tube as the old one finally gave out. The, after installing new tube, Set appeared to short out. Variac got most un happy.

Went to other set. Started to fire it up for the first time in 5 years. Was making headway. Was getting a low audio hum, and was starting to hear other circiuts come to life.This set was rebuilt several years back. Well. Then, my variac gave out with a pop, ahd,started arcing.I shut it down. I decided to try tv straight off the line. I turned it on, and transformer gave a grunt, And, heard popping in chassis. Something failed. In order to stay alive, I had to sell a phonograph to save my bank account.

I'm going to bed early. This has been a very bad day......

Bill Cahill :tears: :tears: :no: :thumbsdn: :scratch2: :sigh: :sigh:

Chad Hauris
10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Hey Bill, sorry to hear about your problems...the short check series lamp may be something to try as even if there is a dead short in the equipment, the lamp will not let it have the current to do any damage.
Den't feel defeated too easily...

Celt
10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Stuff like that always seems to happen when customers rush me on a job. Sorry you're having probs Bill. :(

Bill Cahill
10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks, guys, for your encouragement. Just seems when you need to get the job done the most, that's when everything goes wrong. I have bids out on another variac. Please wish me good luck. Bill Cahill :thmbsp: :yes:

Geoff Bourquin
10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear you had such a crummy day. I know how it feels. I really do. Check the brush in the Variac. Mine broke once, and I got a few big sparks and pops. I got a new one at the hardware store (the one that closed down 6 months after Home Depot came to town). I had to do a little filing to get it to fit, but it was pretty close.