View Full Version : Death of the tube TV

frenchy
10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224019,00.html

rulerboyz
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
One benefit of this would be the lighter weight of the sets. It will be easier to carry LCD/plasma screens when it comes to moving day.

jpdylon
10-23-2006, 08:50 PM
look at it this way, you'll be able to get used CRT HD sets cheap soon.

If you have to go with the flat pannel, wait for the LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) sets to come around. THese are supposed to have the deap high contrast picture with the true blacks similar to CRTs. However they are still in development and would probably be horribly expensive

Whirled One
10-23-2006, 09:44 PM
One benefit of this would be the lighter weight of the sets. It will be easier to carry LCD/plasma screens when it comes to moving day.

Which reminds me-- the other day I was thinking about how the increasing popularity for (and decreasing cost of) LCD TV's should cause a renewed interest and improvement in the design of portable TV's, but for some reason it hasn't yet. Sure, a number of LCD TV's in the 15" - 20" range have a carrying handle attached to the back, but they still aren't really designed to be portable, especially with the easily damaged LCD screen left exposed. I mean, c'mon, how about an integrated screen cover that pivots on a hinge and turns into a sturdy adjustable stand? Or a TV with a wrap-around "roll-top" cover? Or a sliding clamshell that can fold back around the set? I think there are *lots* of possibilities for an attractive yet functional portable TV that are just waiting to happen.

Whirled One
10-23-2006, 09:47 PM
look at it this way, you'll be able to get used CRT HD sets cheap soon.

Over the next few years, I'm sure we're going to see a *big* increase in the the number of high-end CRT sets found sitting out on the curb...

andy
10-23-2006, 10:37 PM

kx250rider
10-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Interesting, but sad & distressing article. Makes me feel old. This sounds corny, but I sometimes joke with friends who are a couple years younger than I am... I tell them that I am older because if we were TV sets, I would be a roundie (born in early '67) and they would be rectangular. Some get it, and some need it explained. But soon, they won't even know what a tube is.

And one more thing, the article is about a decade off in chronology:

(quote) "The CRT has served us well for many many years — since the early 1930s into the golden age of television and the advent of color in the 60s," said LG's Taylor. "The longevity of that technology is probably second to none in our industry, but time marches on, and flat panels have really captured the enthusiasm of the American public." (Unquote)

Charles

NowhereMan 1966
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Interesting, but sad & distressing article. Makes me feel old. This sounds corny, but I sometimes joke with friends who are a couple years younger than I am... I tell them that I am older because if we were TV sets, I would be a roundie (born in early '67) and they would be rectangular. Some get it, and some need it explained. But soon, they won't even know what a tube is.

And one more thing, the article is about a decade off in chronology:

(quote) "The CRT has served us well for many many years — since the early 1930s into the golden age of television and the advent of color in the 60s," said LG's Taylor. "The longevity of that technology is probably second to none in our industry, but time marches on, and flat panels have really captured the enthusiasm of the American public." (Unquote)

Charles

Welcome to the club, I was born July 8th, 1966 so if I was a TV, I would most likely be a "roundie" too. I get a big kick out of today's "yung uns" where they stare in shock at a TV with knobs on it. Better yet, they really get spooked at a black and white TV. Some of my younger co-workers think I'm weird for running a Playstation on a 1966 Sony 9 inch black and white set (my 19 inch 1998 Zenith is doing double duty for the 1982 25 inch Zenith when she acts up a little). I look at it this way, it is better than no TV at all. :))

Chuck

DE KA3WRW

riffer
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Typical fluff article.

What about flat thin CRT's?

slow_jazz
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
i still like my computer crt monitor as opposed to the picture on the computer lcd monitor...

herbman1975
10-24-2006, 02:14 PM
i still like my computer crt monitor as opposed to the picture on the computer lcd monitor...

I agree. I have a CRT monitor on one PC and a flat LCD on the other and the CRT has higher resoloution. We use a video editing program (Pinnacle Liquid ed.) on the PC w/the CRT.

Now that CRT's are becoming a thing of the past, which set would be the hands down best of the last? I want to know because that model TV is the one I want to get. Would it be the Sony WEGA HD?

rca2000
10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
And NO ONE here seems to beleive me in the SLIGHTEST, when I try and explain how the country, and world, is being "sold down the river" as far as non-crt sets, and digital broadcasting are concerned.......

In a few years....I figure they will see the light.

andy
10-25-2006, 02:35 AM

NowhereMan 1966
10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
And NO ONE here seems to beleive me in the SLIGHTEST, when I try and explain how the country, and world, is being "sold down the river" as far as non-crt sets, and digital broadcasting are concerned.......

In a few years....I figure they will see the light.

Don't get me started, I can rant for hours on this. Thank God I'm at work during lunch hour, that rations my time a bit. ;)

NowhereMan 1966
10-25-2006, 11:39 AM
In my opinion, the best CRT TVs are the Sony HD sets with the "Super Fine Pitch" CRTs. They have much smaller phosphor stripes than any other TV. This improves their resolution and make the picture look smoother and more film like. All other CRT HDTVs have a dot pitch that's only adequate for NTSC resolution.

I can't stand LCD TVs, but I have to admit that I love my LCD computer monitor. Its perfect convergence, razor sharp focus, and complete lack of flicker more than makes up for the worse color and slight motion blur. I also enjoy the space savings, instant on, and greatly reduced heat output.

I mentioned this before but I did see an LCD- HDTV at Radio Shack. It had to me mis-adjusted, the colors were all pasty and generally the picture was yucky. My 1982 Zenith would eat it for lunch, heck, I think even my 1966 Sony B&W would. :D

andy
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM

frenchy
10-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I just read where a company has moved manufacturing of their large LCD tvs to a facility in Ontario, California. Saves them on shipping. Hey LCDs might not be as good as crts but at least they are making some of them HERE : )