View Full Version : I just found my winter project!!

matt_s78mn
10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Check out this RCA 9-T-246 that was given to me by a fellow electronics hobbyiest in town this afternoon. Both the cabinet and chassis are a bit rough, but may clean up ok. I haven't checked any tubes yet or checked the 10BP4, and as soon as I get my basement cleaned out a bit, i'll be able to throw it on the bench and get started. I'll have to find a schematic for it because my collection of SAMS doesn't go back that far. Also, the guy I got it from claims that it has sound and no HV, so we'll see about that after the variac and some cap replacements.

It'll be a bit of a new experience for me as this is now my oldest set, and my first set with magnetic deflection.

jpdylon
10-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Dude.....NICE!!!! :thmbsp:

If you think that is rough, your standards are too high :D I've seen stuff in rough condition, with chunks of cabnet missing, rodent infestation with chewed wiring, and sets that were in a flooded basement with layers of rust.....that is rough.

But in any case, an EXCELLENT grab. Can't wait to see it in action :yes:

matt_s78mn
10-21-2006, 12:25 AM
If you think that is rough, your standards are too high :D I've seen stuff in rough condition, with chunks of cabnet missing, rodent infestation with chewed wiring, and sets that were in a flooded basement with layers of rust.....that is rough.

I'll have to post some more detailed pics. The top of the cabinet is dented in because the guy I got it from had it stored in a garage with a heavy fiberglass pickup topper sitting on top of it and leaning against the wall, and there are several small dents on the sides of the cabinet from it being banged around at some point in its life. Perhaps i'll have to take it to a body shop sometime :D

Tubejunke
10-21-2006, 12:28 AM
GREAT find! I'm going to dig up an old subject since you have such a clear shot of the untouched electron gun and ion trap. I have an ugly 8T-243 with the same chassis and a year or so ago I was trying to find out what the correct ion trap was. Mine had a single magnet laying on the chassis when I got it. Your set seems to have a single magnet. The specs call for a "double field". I could get a bright raster with the single magnet pulled all the way back to the tube base, which is incorrect positioning. Somebody was kind enough to send me a magnet which looks like two magnets side by side with a bridge in between. I have seen another type that looks single but has kind of a double stack of magnets.

Anyways I can get a raster with both but I have never felt sure about the setup. Some good people here helped out but seeing your set and others with a different looking magnet gives me doubts. I'm funny about the thought of burning a good 10bp4...

The reason I call my RCA "ugly" is due to the fact that it has a rectangular crt border as opposed to a cool double-d design. Just my luck....

matt_s78mn
10-21-2006, 05:12 PM
I have an ugly 8T-243 with the same chassis and a year or so ago I was trying to find out what the correct ion trap was. Mine had a single magnet laying on the chassis when I got it. Your set seems to have a single magnet. The specs call for a "double field". I could get a bright raster with the single magnet pulled all the way back to the tube base, which is incorrect positioning. Somebody was kind enough to send me a magnet which looks like two magnets side by side with a bridge in between. I have seen another type that looks single but has kind of a double stack of magnets.

Anyways I can get a raster with both but I have never felt sure about the setup. Some good people here helped out but seeing your set and others with a different looking magnet gives me doubts. I'm funny about the thought of burning a good 10bp4...

Yes, my ion trap has a single magnet, but I don't have any specs or service data for it yet, so I don't know if that is correct or not. Perhaps if anyone else here can chime in as to wether or not that is ok, that would be helpfull.

John Folsom
10-21-2006, 09:07 PM
The 10BP4 CRT type calls for a double magnet (field) type ion trap.
http://frank.yueksel.org/tubes/sheets/093/1/10BP4A.pdf

Sandy G
10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Uhh, yeah, if you think this set is "rough" & don't want it, I'll be more than happy to get its ugly countenance out of yr face...<grin>

Eric H
10-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Uh-Oh, look out for the Cat, he's going for that pristine looking grille cloth!! :)