View Full Version : Crosley 9-403

captainmoody
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
One of the scrap guys I know told me he had an "old" tv he thought I might like, that was two months ago. He said he would drop it by, but never showed up until last night. Well.. I wish he brought it by earlier, as he left it outside in the weather all these days! And yes, it turned out to be a Crosley 9-403 with Inductuner! As you all can guess, the cabinet looks like crap now, and has delaminated in spots. I figured it was a parts set, but plugged it in anyway, thinking I would see the rectifier tube filaments arc, then pop from bad 'lytics, or maybe the transformer smoke. Nope, instead it came up with a picture and sound!
I couldn't believe it! Next thing I did was remove the chassis and found it only dusty with no rust or damage. All I could think was great, another resto project.. Oh well, I am glad it has been saved from the landfill.
The cabinet will be lots of fun with all the veneer problems, but the damage is limited to the back side and bottom at least.
The most odd thing is that someone drilled two holes in the cabinet front! One is for a 1/4 phone jack, and the other is for a second volume control for that jack. I'll just have to plug the holes when doing the refinish I guess.
Looks like whoever owned this thing did his own repairs, as all the tube sockets and coils are labeled and a lot of caps were changed to mid sixties Sprague orange drops. All replacement components were installed very neatly with a lot of care.
My question on this set is, who made it? Did Crosley ever make their own sets? It has the Inductuner like a Dumont, but the chassis does not look like one.