View Full Version : vermin check your barn finds

kc8adu
08-05-2003, 07:37 PM
2 weeks ago i bought a antique radio at a barn sale.
not thinking i put it in a bag and set it in the van behind the drivers seat.it was rather cool that morning and this radio was in a barn undisturbed for a few years.next thing i know i feel a buzz/tickle in my shirt sleeve.
got stung several times before i got stopped on i-70.that radio had a huge wasp nest inside and i had an estimated 300 angry wasps in the van.even with all the doors open most stayed inside.had to call a friend to bring raid to clear them out.she would not come near the van because she is allergic to beesting.after they were all dead i took the nest out and gave it to her to clean and clear spray it to preserve it.she counted over 450 cells in it.filled the entire top of a philco 16b cathedral.

millerdog
08-06-2003, 04:49 AM
I just rearranged my living room to accomodate my speakers and had to move my dead decorative Blaupunkt. Damn! looks like some critters were living in there for a while. Thankfully they had moved out!:rolleyes:
If not I would have to bust out the ole 9mm.:uzi:

Chad Hauris
08-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Also watch out for Black Widow spiders. I found one (alive!) inside a 1950's Zenith TV I bought this summer. Sprayed it with Wasp/Hornet killer and that took care of it.

kc8adu
08-06-2003, 08:01 AM
bought another old tv set this morning.i took the back off and hit it with raid and watched 4 big wolf spiders limp out and die.
lot of predators to have inside a sony kv-5200!
i guess everyone is cleaning basements,garages and shed around here and having garage sales.i got a roll of clear trash bags and a can of raid in the van now!:uzi:

Sandy G
08-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Geeeeez, the story about the waspers made me shiver !!! Thousand wonders you didn't wreck & have a real disaster. Bet they were them mean striped li'l sumbiches. Hate 'em w/a purple passion. Did you get the radio fixed OK ? -Sandy G.

VinylHanger
08-07-2003, 11:05 PM
I have been chasing spiders outta my gear for days. Mostly the stuff in the closets. It goes something like this.....Pick up gear, tap on it, scream like a girl, and then stomp the critter to oblivion. :uzi: :D

millerdog
08-08-2003, 03:00 AM
:lmao:
After I scream like a girl, I tell Miller "Get the Mushi!" He goes after all the critters.;) Dudes, when I lay in bed and Miller is looking above my head, I freaking turn around! Once I ignored him and a freaking cane spider landed on my head.
Trust yer dog!

VinylHanger
08-09-2003, 02:29 AM
I woulda croaked right there. I once had a Georgia Cockroach drop out of a hole in the ceiling and land on my back. It about knocked the wind outta me...they grow 'em big in Georgia.yuck:puke:

ddarch
08-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Vern.

Did you get my email about the Grado? By the way, you PM mailbox here is full.

Dave

VinylHanger
08-09-2003, 01:51 PM
I haven't gotten Jack for E-mails since I switched to DSL. Even though I am using the same address. I think it is better now though. I will clear y box, though it shouldn't be full..I don't have any friends, hence no one pm's me :pity: :D

Celt
01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Just had to add to this one. A few years ago a musician brought me a Fender Rhodes Piano to rebuild. It was the large model with the amplified base that held four 12" speakers. He told me it had been stored in his cabin for a few years and I didn't give it a second thought until I began disassembling it. Through the damper pedal out ran several baby mice! I haven't moved that fast in years!!! :zoom: