View Full Version : Got me another Sorta-Porta Color...

Sandy G
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
...After that OMIGAWD score that noob made, this barely seems worth mentioning, but I got a '78 GE 10" color set that has a "brick"/maroon case, the model # has peeled off, but it is that "bare-bones" solid-state model that used the coarse Porta-Color CRT. Little guy DOES have a pretty good picture, but I'm debating taking a hose & some Tide to it, as it REEKS of nicotine. Hey, it's a save, I'll love it 'n' pet it, 'n' call it George, hey, it ain't gonna go to Der Landfill just yet...

jpdylon
10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
meh some people just get lucky. We need to send you a digicam or something that you can use so you can show us all yer stuff. :yes:

Sandy G
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Ahh, somebody would just break in here & steal all of it...<grin> Some of my stuff IS pretty valuable, I guess...But yr average thief wouldn't have the foggiest on where to fence it. Nor do most crooks wanna go hoisting a 90-lb R-390A, or a 150 lb EK-07...

jpdylon
10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
know what you mean. I just crack up every time I try to imagine some dumbass trying to steal my 130+ lb a piece AR-9 tower speakers and my 250lb roundie. They definitely require two strong men to move them around

mhardy6647
10-06-2006, 05:12 PM
My postdoc adviser lived on the very edge of "the bad side of town" in Baltimore back when... given the neighborhood, he and his wife's investments tended towards antiques and Audubon lithographs... not the sort of thing the locals were looking to appropriate from the bourgeoisie.

JCFitz
10-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I can imagine someone trying to steal a jukebox from my house...lol. They weigh over 300lbs and two strong men have trouble moving them. My most recent aquisition(a 1961 Wurlitzer 2510 residing in my bedroom) required the door to be taken off the hinges and still broke a piece of trim getting it through the door.

BTW I have probably one of the last of those GEs(1983 10") on the counter near my computer. The color is great. I use it for local news and prgrams. The speaker finally gave up the ghost recently. I have to turn the volume louder than normal in to hear it above the fan of the room air conditioner right next to my computer. Almost time to not have to use the air anymore. Don't need it at night at all. I gotta open the GE and find a suitable replacement. Don't think the back's ever been removed. Actually still has the mini manual in place. Strangely this tv was given to me about 4 years ago with the vertical crapping out and I thought it needed griplet rework. It sat there with the intermittent problem for a few days while I worked on other tvs and then started working perfectly. Hasn't acted up since.

polaraman
10-06-2006, 08:33 PM
A local TV shop was broken into a few months back. The thief took a huge 36" plus CRT TV from the shop. What went with the TV? The thief also took the shop handtruck! :sigh: It must have been an interesting sight to see a thief wheeling a huge TV down the street in the middle of the night. :D Where there is a will there is a way.

I feel the same about my sets. I may not want to mess with the person that can grab a huge 50's combo and run down the street with it. :D

polaraman

Sandy G
10-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, if you can snatch 'n' grab an 85-90 lb R-390A, then you're a MUCH better man than I am, Gunga Din... Not only are they heavy, they're pretty unwieldy as well..And if you drop it, you're gonna booger it up, so you can't sell it. I doubt the average crackhead teenage hoodlum would be able to figure out how to run an R-390A, anyway. Or maybe ANY of my boatanchors, for that matter. And while they are messing w/them, I'm liable to come in, & they just might get to meet Jesus for violating my precious boatanchors...I DO have a Wildey, just like Bronson did...Hehehehehehe....

bgadow
10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
A couple times last year I came home to find the door to one of my sheds was wide open. I knew I hadn't left if that way-somebody was snooping. But, everything in there is old & decrepit. I almost never buy anything new. I can just see the guy staring inside & thinking, man, this guy is worse off than me-ain't got nothin' but junk! Well, I did start locking the sheds after that, just in case...

Richard D
10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Question, How can you run faster?
Answer, First, Drop the Trinitron, then.....

Sandy G
10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
...But even sans Trinitron, most hoodlums have a difficult time outrunning Mr Smith & Mr Wesson...

RetroHacker
10-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Hehe - I collect old computer equipment as well as the hi-fi and television stuff, and this weekend I was on a road trip picking up hardware (four short racks and a printer), and was on the second trip (the printer). Keep in mind that this isn't a normal printer - this weighs about 300 pounds. It's a high speed band printer and prints on continuous feed wide paper, and has a powered stacker to stack it back up again on the back. It also requires a 20 amp wall socket. I'd just picked it up and we stopped at a convenience store to use the bathroom and get some coffee. As we were leaving the van, I made doubly sure to lock it, and my friend asked me if I was afraid of someone stealing the printer. I said no, and if anyone wanted that printer badly enough to steal it, and could lift it by themselves, we didn't want to mess with him. We both had images of hoodlums trying to load the beast into a car...

Either way nobody is going to steal it. But the thought was funny. It was funnier at the time though... It was funnier when I started typing this to...

-Ian

Sandy G
10-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh, I prolly wouldn't REALLY shoot anyone, but just pulling one of my loudenboomers & watching the punk put it in overdrive trying to get away oughta be amusing..I have a S&W 617 w/a 8 3/8" barrel, its just a .22 but looks real mean w/that big-azz barrel...a .22 loaded w/snake-shot shells would pepper his britches & sting his butt pretty good, but wouldn't really hurt anyone.

Richard D
10-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Sandy I too have had it with these petty theives who do $400.00 damage to steal a $150.00 4 year old car stereo. Just the picture in my mind of one running away grabbing has burning butt makes me smile. Thank's.

truetone36
10-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Here's a candidate for dumb thief of the year. Before I moved out of town and into my place 8 mi. out in the country, someone got into my house and took a 21" RCA b/w table set out of my bedroom. I got it back within the hour after arriving home, because the idiot lived 6 doors down from me AND he left my t.v. ON HIS FRONT PORCH right in plain view from the street!! I just backed my car up to the porch, knocked on the door and told him what would happen to him if he even walked by my house again, then put the t.v. in the car and took it home.

Dumont-First with the finest in television :yes: .

Richard D
10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Most petty thieves are probably not rocket scientists. But I bet they could say You want fries with that? When I got my first real job the pay was $1.60 an hour, and that was in the 1970s, not the 1930s. And yes it was a McDonalds, I later moved up to Radio Shack for the amazing rate of $1.90 an hour. Did I ever consider stealing from someone else, Never. However to be fair my parents bought me my first car and insurance. I covered gas, oil tires and repairs. For some reason the right rear tire was always getting bald way ahead of the others. I still remember the exact wording on my first ticket.
Improper start from standing position. Man would it make smoke and the neatest sound.