View Full Version : Thermistor: Inrush limiter, or degaussing circuit?

jpdylon
10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I noticed half of a thermistor on the chassis while I was cleaning. THe other half of it is still attached to the leads. I'm wondering if this is part of the degauss circuit or is it an inrush limiter?

Any ideas on what would be a good replacement, and how it would correctly be installed on the board?

blue_lateral
10-03-2006, 03:44 AM
That stuff is for the automatic degaussing. Some older sets without degauss had an inrush limiter, so maybe you could say it's for both, but mainly for the degausser. One is a thermistor, the other a varistor.

If I remember correctly, this is how it works. One of the leads fall off of that one thats broken in the picture, then the big black plastic one burns, filling up the room with noxious smoke.

I disabled plenty of those stupid things way back when. A "fire" would have been the end of the set, because the world was full of scare stories about color sets burning houses down.

The jumper goes from the common connection of the two devices, to the circuit breaker. :D

But if you want to put it back, the thermistor, RT201, goes from terminal "w" on the board (also connected to the circuit breaker) to the input to the bridge (probably at the far left). It is 1.25ohm +/-25% hot, 120ohm cold, RCA #113996.

The varistor, RV201, is 67ma@20 volts, RCA# 114014. It goes from the input to the bridge, to the degaussing coil socket (all assuming this is that gorgeous ctc16 you just bought). Good luck. :)

John

jpdylon
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for that info John.