View Full Version : I´m so sad

Captain Video
09-29-2006, 08:25 PM
You americans are very lucky TV collectors. You get nice 50´s sets for cheap prices, and, sometimes even for free. Here in Brazil things are REALLY different. 50´s and even 60´s sets are scarce. Predictas are more or less common, they pop up every once in a while, I think that maybe it was one of the most sold set here in the late 50´s. However, because of their different design, you can't get a non-working Predicta for less than 500 dollars. Collectors of vintage TVs and stuff here really love the Predicta. I've been collecting vintage TVs and related memorabilia since 2000, and so far I´ve been able to collect seven TVs, four of them are 50's models, two are from the 70's and one is from the early to mid sixties. I do not have a Predicta yet, but I intend to have one, and I know that it will be more or less easy to get one, it's only a matter of getting the money. What really makes me sad is that all the 50's sets that I have are rectangular CRTs models, I would LOVE to have a round tube set, but those are the rarest of the rarest here. Brazilian television begun in 1950, which was the last year of the round CRT, right? By 1951 there were only 7000 TV sets here, in a population of 50 million people. I am here whinning, writing this post, because a beautiful, however in bad shape, GE round TV set in a radio/phonograph combo appeared in the local auction web site. It's in what looks like a very nasty place, a dirty barn, or something like that. I am really concerned about the preservation of such a rare set in that environment, because it won't find a buyer easily. Opening bid is at 2,500 dollars! If only I had the money, I would grab it with a joyful heart...

Sandy G
09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that one's kinda rough, but it still looks repairable-at least the CRT doesn't have the dreaded "spot" in the middle of the screen indicating it's gone to air. But 2500 clams is WAY too much for this set, I think...

jpdylon
09-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Holy cow $2500!!? i guess I take things for granted here. I've gotten lots of sets from the 50s and 60s , locally and from other members usually for under 60 dollars each.

If the 1st RCA color production set goes for $1500+ here, god only knows what it would bring in brazil!.

kx250rider
09-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Are those funds converted? I'm not familiar with Brazilian money... Maybe $2500 in Brazil isn't that much in US currency?

For example, what does a quart of milk cost in Brazil, or how much is a new Toyota truck?

That GE combo would be between free and $25 here in that condition. Ordinary metal 17" and 21" Predictas sold between collectors usually are $90 rough to $450 nice, so that says maybe the currency is similar. But $2500 for that GE?

Charles

Dave S
09-30-2006, 03:13 PM
You americans are very lucky TV collectors.

Captain,

I certainly don't mean to gloat, but yeah, sometimes we don't realize just how lucky we are. We're like "fish in the water", especially here in the northeast, or maybe "shooting fish in a barrel" is the more appropriate metaphor. You don't realize it may be different elsewhere when growing up, 'cause we knew was what it was like here. I first realized how different things could be when I spoke with a collector in Hawaii a while back and he commented on how "you guys in the New York area just seem to trip over stuff" while virtually any collectible electronics has to be imported into Hawaii. And we do "trip over stuff". People are still glad to give this stuff away and they laugh at you behind your back as you're carting it away. And of course I can never say "no." Sometimes I feel like I'm literally drowing in "treasures." I only wish I got into this sooner, when people were still glad to be getting rid of the prewar stuff! We here really should be grateful and not take being in the birthplace of much of the US radio and TV industry for granted!
--Dave

jpdylon
09-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Are those funds converted? I'm not familiar with Brazilian money... Maybe $2500 in Brazil isn't that much in US currency?

2,500.00 BRL (Brazil Reais) = 1,147.58 USD
1 BRL = 0.459030 USD 1 USD = 2.17851 BRL

over 1100 us dollars is still quite excessive for that set.

David Roper
09-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Over 11 dollars is enough for hesitation...I wouldn't haul it away for less than 25! :D

hposter
09-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Captain Video,

Hello to Brazil!

You mention it is hard to find round-tube vintage televisions locally.

I have been packing and shipping them for at least 10 years, to Japan and many Asian countries, Spain, Portugal, and European countries, and Mexico plus many South American countries. And, there are many more dealers in the States that routinely sell vintage radios and TVs to buyers out of the USA. Although packing and insurance can run several hundred dollars, this allows you to get clean, complete TVs for much less than those that are offered there!

Plus, a couple of years ago, we 'accumulated' about 10 sets for an Italian collector and he bought space in a container going to Italy. This saved him considerable shipping, plus the sets ride safer when packed into a trailer.

You should look to the club links, ebay, and various web sites, for dealers that specifically offer to ship overseas, and who can assure you that they have sent televisions overseas, successfully.

The club links will help you find collector/dealers around the USA, who sell sets. Many have web sites that show what is available, or at least, take requests for specific types of TVs, and most can estimate the costs to sell the TV, plus pack and ship it to Brazil.

If you need further info, please email.

Harry

radio63
09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Cap'n Video, This GE set appears to be in very poor condition and not even worth what they are asking. If it was free, or next to that it would be a different story. In my opinion, you would be better off spending the money on something nicer for sale here in the US and having it shipped to you in Brazil. Good luck to you in your collecting.

Bill Cahill
10-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Cap'n Video, This GE set appears to be in very poor condition and not even worth what they are asking. If it was free, or next to that it would be a different story. In my opinion, you would be better off spending the money on something nicer for sale here in the US and having it shipped to you in Brazil. Good luck to you in your collecting.

I second his opinion. You can do better buying one from the states. If that set was, say, up to 50.00, I'd say go for it. But, the condition is obviously poor. Even looking at the center spindle on the changer, it appears to have been bent more, and appears the cartidge, and head my be missing. This unit uses the famous GE Magnetic cartridge. Note the very rusty pre amp in the back of the cabinet. Speaker is also shot. It's one of GE's ac dc tv's, so is problematic, at best. I would pass on this one. If you paid 150.00 for one of our US sets, and then, had it shipped, you'd still be doing better. It would certainly be more rebuildable....

The only question I would have for you is what line voltage do you have there, and how manny cycles? We're about 120 v AC, at 60 eycles.

Bill Cahill

Captain Video
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
The 2,500 value was already my conversion to dollars... in Brazilian money the value is 5,000 reais, which, when converted, is more or less 2,500 dollars...obviously the seller is asking that incredible amount of money based on the rarity of such a TV set here in this country, and didn't even consider the poor condition of the set. But people are not silly, at least the TV collectors I know.Probably this TV won´t sell, not for what the seller is asking for, anyway. The biggest collector here, a guy who accumulated 700 vintage TV sets since the mid 80's, has some 11 or 12 round tube TVs, and he got all of them in the good old days when people were still giving them for free or selling for almost nothing! Back in the 80's, people here didn't value vintage TVs. Since I was born in 77, I entered this hobby too late.

David Roper
10-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Whoa, where do you put 700 vintage TV sets? I guess I am privileged by comparison, I have about twenty sets, ten of which are round tubed--yes, all black & white. Furthermore, almost all of the sets I now have were aquired within the last two years.

Einar72
10-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Greetings from El Norte!

I would be curious to know if you see many vintage Philips or other european brands of televisions in Brazil. When I was visiting Peru in '82, I viewed on a 12" Philips portable. A restaurant owner was so happy to see me (my money) he broght it out and plugged it in for me to watch. It was a blast from the past, since mostly what I saw was a cute little Please Stand By card, with a cute little cameraman waving and peering out from behind an old TV camera. When PanTel finally got back up, I got to watch Los Angeles de Charlie :yuck: (dubbed en Espanol) while otherwise enjoying my dinner.

Wherever I was shopping, there were nothing but Japanese sets, even though there was a giant neon sign with Philips on it in Lima...I was shocked to see, while visiting Sears, there wasn't a single Silvertone to be seen! :tears: Nothing but Japanese brands :sigh: .

Carmine
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
I'll make you a deal... You find me one of these, and I'll get you more old tv's than you could shake a stick at!

http://u225.torque.net/cars/dodgedart/brazil/73chgrad.jpg

(Actually, I'd be happy with just the front clip, the sail panels, and some trim in a big crate.. I can always find an old lady's Dart as a "donor" car!)

:D

What can you tell us about CoLoR tV in Brazil?

Sandy G
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Woah ! Talk about a mean-ass sleeper...<grin>

dr.ido
10-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Isn't Brazil the only country to have adopted PAL-M (525 lines, 60Hz, 3.58MHz subcarrier), while also the being the only PAL country to use MTS stereo?

I expect their recent sets are the same generic mulitstandard sets found in any PAL country with a different tuner. However some of the earlier sets may be unique as there would be no market for them outside of Brazil.

Also, other technologies held on longer in Brazil than anywhere else for whatever reason (The 8 bit Sega Master System console was supported with new games and systems in Brazil long after it was considered dead everywhere else). Could older TV designs have also survived longer?

Captain Video
10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE]David Roper Whoa, where do you put 700 vintage TV sets?

He has a small three store building, which is his little TV museum. The second floor is so full of sets, that you even find difficult to walk between the TVs. He has a nice website, but it is in Portuguese, although you can e-mail him and communicate in English. The site address is www.televisoresantigos.com.br

[QUOTE]Einar72 I would be curious to know if you see many vintage Philips or other european brands of televisions in Brazil.

Philips has been manufacturing TVs here since 1953, if I'm not mistaken...before that, Philips TV sets were imported from Holland.

[QUOTE]Carmine I'll make you a deal... You find me one of these, and I'll get you more old tv's than you could shake a stick at!

Carmine, you would be somewhat disappointed if you came here... these old Dodge Chargers are rarely seem in the streets of Brazil today, and the remaining survivors are valued by collectors.

[QUOTE]What can you tell us about CoLoR tV in Brazil?

The TV people begun to think about bringing color TV to Brazil in 1960. Some NTSC broadcasts occurred in 1963 and 64, in the city of São Paulo, to some lucky 300 viewers that bought color sets imported from the USA - some of these sets still exist today. But this NTSC transmissions didn't had any government involvement, it was done solely by the TV stations. The government begun to really get involved in 1966, and an organized plan to bring color TV finally begun to took shape. The engineers in charge, it seems, were not impressed with NTSC, so they decided to create an hybrid system, which is PAL - M, that dr.ido mentions in his post. Color TV, using this system, finally became available to the public in 1972.

[QUOTE]dr.ido Isn't Brazil the only country to have adopted PAL-M (525 lines, 60Hz, 3.58MHz subcarrier), while also the being the only PAL country to use MTS stereo?

I believe Brazil is the only PAL-M country...I don't know about the use of MTS stereo by other PAL countries.