View Full Version : question by non-hobbiest

mark m
07-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Never really had any interest in vintage electronics, more of a home theater guy (any questions about front projection systems, I'm your guy). However, somebody on my street threw out an old RCA Victor Model 7-T103. I hated to see that, so I grabbed it.

It's real clean, and in good shape from a looks standpoint. When I plug it in, a lot of vacuum tubes light up, and you get the tv hum, but no picture.

I was just curious to find out information about that model, year, whether it's at all rare, etc? Can anybody help me?

Thanks

PaulC
07-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Great to hear you saved it. That TV is listed in Sams Photofacts set 134 folder 9. Dated May 1951. The repair folder lists 12 models but shows a 17 inch tube tabletop on a matching stand. Some are consoles with radios and record players. What kind do you have. Hard to say about the rarity but not one of the more desireable sets. Most collecters go for the small tabletop sets. But something like this is nice because once fixed up it is watchable with the larger screen. As everybody here will tell you most likely the capacitors need to be changed.

Paul

Rob
07-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Welcome Mark!

It is always fun to save a really vintage TV from the trashman. Can you post a picture? If it is in nice shape and you would like to keep it as a period piece for your home it probably could be put into operation. Most likely needs some paper capacitors replaced, possibly some tubes, possibly an electrolytic or three.
Be forewarned, if you are used to home theater...this ain't it. :)

Rob

mark m
07-26-2003, 09:51 PM
yea, here is a photo of the front of the tv. Its not very good, but my camera battery was dying

mark m
07-26-2003, 09:53 PM
lets try again

mark m
07-26-2003, 09:54 PM
here is the label on the back.

So, can anyone tell me anything? If nothing else, I would like to know what model year it is.

PaulC
07-26-2003, 10:07 PM
It was made in 1951. Sams was pretty quick getting schematic information to the service men. Another book also says the KCS48A chassis was manufactured in 1951. It has the typical early 50"s RCA look.

mark m
07-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks Paul, I thought that was what you meant in your earlier post.

The last thing that I need is another hobby, but I would really love to see that thing work. I am sucker for anything that is old and uncommon.

Marlin Mackley
08-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey folks, just thought I would post a photo of the 7t103 with stand. I paid $25 for it maybe 3 years ago. The stand has a groove milled into the rear edges for an antenna. I donno how well the antenna works. Pictured next to it is its round crt sister. All in all a good looking set me thinks!
Marlinhttp://home.earthlink.net/~marlinmackley/3metalrcas.jpg

Rob
08-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Marlin,

I see you have one of those wooden RCA 'sunburst' UHF converters too! I have never had the back off mine but it looks pretty busy inside. Does your's work? Haven't tried mine. Any idea of the year of this model?

Rob

wvsaz
08-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Rob,

These are from 1952. I have repaired a couple of them and they are well made and fairly simple inside. The most likely failure is the oscillator tube. Right after that comes the mixing diode. It can be replaced by a 1N82A.

Marlin Mackley
08-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Rob, I have not tried the UHF converter yet, and have not had the back off. Shoot, I have not even dusted it in two years! Come to think of it I have not dusted ANYTHING in two years.:D
Marlin

Rob
08-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by wvsaz
Rob,

These are from 1952. I have repaired a couple of them and they are well made and fairly simple inside. The most likely failure is the oscillator tube. Right after that comes the mixing diode. It can be replaced by a 1N82A.

Bill,

That 1N82A is a really good UHF diode. I built a field strength meter for 2.45 GHz (microwave oven leakage detector) and a 50uA meter, the diode sits in the focal point of a curved metal plate (cylinder parabola) at the middle of the dipole antenna. It is extremely sensitive! A safe oven can pin this to the end at 6 feet.

Rob

Rob
08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Marlin Mackley
Rob, I have not tried the UHF converter yet, and have not had the back off. Shoot, I have not even dusted it in two years! Come to think of it I have not dusted ANYTHING in two years.:D
Marlin

Marlin,

I know the feeling. I try to keep up with the dust in the house but the biggest challennge here is cat hair and I have to be fairly frequent with the vacuuming. Out in the shop is another story and with my speaker building I've got fine sawdust on everything now. :(

Rob